Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pay with Point after i have already purchased tickets

Kwscott777
Explorer C

I have already purchased airline tickets and paid for them with my credit card. After this i relized I had enough points to pay for my tickets. Can i now change this and pay for my ticket with my points and get a credit back on my credit card?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Pay with Point after i have already purchased tickets

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Assuming you've purchased a Wanna Get Away (non-refundable) fare, more than 24 hours ago, no.

If you cancel now and rebook using your points, you'll receive Travel Funds for the cancelled flight, good towards future travel for the original passenger only, valid for one year from the date you made the original purchase.

dfwskier
Aviator A

To be more clear:

1) You can cancel and request a refund for any ticket bought less than 24 hours ago

2) You can request a refund for any refundable ticket at any time

3) You can obtain travel credit for any wanna-get- away ticket bought more than 24 hours ago.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

To be even more clear...

😉

(Although I don't think this applies to the OP, it may help others.)

You can only request a refund of a "refundable" fare if you have not made any changes to the itinerary at any time.

As soon as you make any changes to a "refundable" fare -- any change at all, upgrading Anytime to Business Select, for example -- you lose the ability to get a refund if you cancel at a later date.

I know this is non-sensical, but that's how Southwest does it these days. Allegedly it's a "system limitation" that happened when they converted to the new booking system.

Just remember: Never "change" a "refundable" fare -- always cancel, request a refund, and rebook.