Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Personal Items

Hermanforex
Explorer C

I understand that Southwest Airlines stipulates that a personal item cannot be larger than 16.25" L x 13.5" W x 8" H. According to the information on NordstromRack's webpage, I would like to purchase a backpack that is 16.5" H, 11.5" W, and 5" D. I am confused by these dimensions, and do not know whether they are in accordance with Southwest Airlines' policies.

Furthermore, I read on The Points Guy's website that Southwest has a baggage sizer tool on their app. Well, I can't find that tool on Southwest's app.

Could someone please help me with these issues? Thank you in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Personal Items

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Dimensions that close, especially if there's flexibility in the shape of the backpack, will be fine. Personal items will go under the seat in front of you, although they can also be placed in the overhead bin if the flight isn't full and there is room.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Personal Items

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@Hermanforex wrote:

I understand that Southwest Airlines stipulates that a personal item cannot be larger than 16.25" L x 13.5" W x 8" H. According to the information on NordstromRack's webpage, I would like to purchase a backpack that is 16.5" H, 11.5" W, and 5" D. I am confused by these dimensions, and do not know whether they are in accordance with Southwest Airlines' policies.

Furthermore, I read on The Points Guy's website that Southwest has a baggage sizer tool on their app. Well, I can't find that tool on Southwest's app.

Could someone please help me with these issues? Thank you in advance.

Agree that you are fine - but also to answer your second question click on the "hamburger" menu in the upper right by your name and then scroll down past the flight info, past the Car/Hotel/Vacations... and down past Flying Southwest and the next one is Bag Sizer. (Above Help Center)

One edit: that might be primarily for the carry-on bag not the personal item, but see if it helps  you.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.