Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet Carrier

SamU
Employee
Employee

I'm traveling with my pup in a few weeks for the first time, and looking for the appropriate dimensions that can fit under my seat. Any suggestions as to which carriers I could purchase or any other tips for traveling with your pet for the first time would be greatly appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Pet Carrier

camatuse
Adventurer B
Solution

An appropriate pet carrier would be a maximum of 18.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 inches. We do sell Southwest Pet Carrier's and you may purchase them at the link provided, https://www.southwestthestore.com/pet-carrier-1.html

Lindadoty816
Explorer C

The dimension for the carriers aren't making much sense, why is the height for southwest carrier higher than the demension on one we can go out and buy? Please explain 

thank you you for your time

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I believe the point of the previous question is that the Southwest carrier is taller than the dimensions listed for the maximum carrier height (meaning that the Southwest carrier is not compliant with the guidelines) and that it's confusing that two very different sizes are listed.

pet carriers.png

The Southwest Airlines Pet Carrier: 17” long x 10.5” high x 10” wide.

An "appropriate" pet carrier: 18.5" long x 8.5" high x 13.5" inches wide.

My totally non-official advice? Get a carrier that's smaller than 18.5" long x 10.5" high x 13.5" wide.  😉

Good luck.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Lindadoty816,

The pet carrier sold by Southwest Airlines is designed to be able to fit beneath the seat in front of you. Pets must remain inside the carrier for the duration of the flight, so we created a carrier that is easy for people to use, knowing it will be the right dimensions. 

gtretired2002
Explorer C

Hello Lindsey:

we have a Schnauzer 18 pounds who we need to start taking on our trips to Orlando. But all of the places I read it's so confusing about the dimensions of the carrier. One or two inches can really make a difference. I don't want to get to the airport and find out that I won't be able to take him without the option of placing him with the luggage when I know I can have him under the seat. Please advise. Thanks.