Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet-Friendly Flight Accommodations

vjf09
Explorer B

As someone who hasn't been able to fly for nearly two years due to the inability to bring my large dog with me, I'd like to suggest an idea to Southwest Airlines. It would be fantastic if they could accommodate large dogs on flights during low-traffic periods, such as late nights or early mornings. I understand the challenges and concerns associated with allowing larger pets in the cabin, particularly during busy times. However, by offering specific flights for pet owners during quieter hours, it would open up opportunities for those of us who have been grounded for so long. Many pet owners, like myself, would gladly pay a reasonable fee to have our furry family members accompany us in the cabin. This would not only bring immense joy to pet owners but also ensure a stress-free travel experience, knowing that our beloved companions are right by our side. Implementing this initiative would be a remarkable step towards catering to a specific segment of customers, allowing Southwest Airlines to stand out as a pet-friendly airline while reuniting families and making travel dreams come true.

21 REPLIES 21

Re: Pet-Friendly Flight Accommodations

floridaguy
Aviator C

You raise an interesting proposition.  I will neither support nor oppose your suggestion.  I will warn you that the board has been busy lately with people complaining about companion dogs on flights.

vjf09
Explorer B

I see... I think that finding a balance that addresses concerns and accommodates the needs of both pet owners and other passengers is the key. Businesses need to understand that pets are often considered family members by their owners. Just as hotels have designated pet-friendly rooms, airlines could explore options to cater to pet owners while maintaining a comfortable environment for all passengers. I frequently travel by car with my dog and stay at pet-friendly hotels, but traveling long distances can be challenging sometimes. By considering the needs of pet owners and implementing pet-friendly policies, airlines can attract a broader range of customers and create a positive and inclusive atmosphere for all travelers.

vjf09
Explorer B

At the end of the day, I know it is unlikely to happen, but it would be cool to hear what others think about it.

bec102896
Aviator A

I think one problem is some people including crew *could* see larger dogs as a threat or aggressive dog especially if they bark. It could become a safety issue should a dog get on the loose inflight which could lead to a diversion for medical treatment. Sure it may not happen on all flights but if the dog isn’t contained in a carrier then it could be a problem with why the policy is small dogs and cats 

vjf09
Explorer B

You raised a valid concern regarding the perception of larger dogs. I believe you must be in control of your dog. Honestly, if you can't control your dog, you can't go anywhere. But one potential solution could be for airlines to implement measures such as implementing a limit on the number of dogs allowed per flight. Also, in cases where a dog consistently exhibits disruptive behavior during a flight, it may be necessary to impose a lifetime ban on the dog. In addition, assigning dog-friendly flight attendants to flights with dog passengers could help a lot. - These are just a few ideas. I hope dog friends in this community can help with more ideas. - Those who truly believe in their dogs and take their responsibility seriously are the ones who would go the extra mile to ensure their pets are well-behaved and under control during flights.

vjf09
Explorer B

Another thing, the airline can issue a notice to inform passengers that it is a dog-friendly flight.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Just how would you enforce a "lifetime ban on that dog"?  Collect DNA and compare to each dog admitted to the flight?

Have a "wanted" poster and post at all airport gates?

Put the dog on the FBI's most wanted list?

I'd love to hear your proposal.

dfwskier
Aviator A

It seems the FAA requires in cabin animals to be caged. So the rule would need to be changed.

Although I can't find words like "animals must be caged" on the FAA website, I can find plenty about per containers (1) being carry on baggage (2) must be small enough to fit under seat ,, etc. the clear implication being that animals must be caged.

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/cabin_safety/pets_faq

floridaguy
Aviator C

We've all been on flights where the dog just walks on and lays down on the floor.

I even pet the dog sometimes.