Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet Policy Fee Transparency

jamesrelic
Explorer C

I've travelled several times with Southwest with my small dog, paying the $95 pet fee (each way) and forgoing my additional bag so as to accommodate his carrier. I grin and bear it, but I can't help but wonder who exactly is benefitting from the additional fee. 

While on hold today waiting to add him to my reservation, there was a short hold "ad" about Southwest fee transparency, and it made me wonder about the pet fee. Yes, it's on par with industry standards, but what exactly is my $190 going toward? It's not for a seat, since his fee is often more expensive than my entire RT flight. It's not for additional bag space, since he takes up one of my bags. I doubt it's to clean after him. Since there appears to be no additional work on the side of Southwest for him, is this money going towards...better salaries for flight attendants? A better flying experience for everyone? Or just, and I feel rather old and bitter saying, another easy way for SW to make money? 

This is likely a rhetorical question, but I thought I could manage to fork out the money for him a little easier if there was an actual point. But I fear it's just an easy money grab, and possibly a deterrent to bringing animals - though, I've yet to see evidence of that working. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Pet Policy Fee Transparency

floridaguy
Aviator C

Southwest is not a public utility and is in the business of making a profit.  The shareholders expect to be rewarded for their investment 

The extra fee is to enrich the company.  Fee transparency is not poverty.

Supply versus demand.  You want to take your pet, they charge a fee for doing so.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jamesrelic wrote:

This is likely a rhetorical question, but I thought I could manage to fork out the money for him a little easier if there was an actual point. But I fear it's just an easy money grab, and possibly a deterrent to bringing animals - though, I've yet to see evidence of that working. 

I feel like it could definitely be a deterrent. It would be too many pets if there was no fee.

I'm sure your pup is great, but that isn't universal unfortunately. As recently as my last flight I saw a lady whose dog had just made a mess on the carpet at O'Hare Terminal 5. People are allergic. Potential for a noise nuisance or other disturbance.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I'm wondering if they are willing to pay $95 each way, why not $195 each way?  I'm game for that.

Let me buy some more Southwest stock then raise the prices!