Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pet carrier

Mupitgirl
Explorer C

I also am traveling on SWA and am having a hard time finding a carrier using their specs. I will probably end up buying their's because I dont want to take any chances. This is just completely frustrating. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Mupitgirl wrote:

I also am traveling on SWA and am having a hard time finding a carrier using their specs. I will probably end up buying their's because I dont want to take any chances. This is just completely frustrating. 

Actually, Southwest allows a pet carrier to  be   no larger than 18.5” long x 8.5” high x 13.5” wide- which in general is bigger than that you would buy from the airline.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/traveling-with-animals/pets/index-pol.html

edit add: remember that if your purchased soft carrier is a bit too high that you'll be able to squish the top down a bit so that it fits under the seat -- assuming that your pet is not too tall to let you do that.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The smaller height of teh "non-Southwest" example always throws people. Just get a soft-sided carrier that's no larger than 8.5” long x 10.5” high x 13.5” wide (the max for each dimension from both examples listed) and you should be fine.

1.png

Buckets
Explorer C

I am about to travel on Southwest and am a bit nervous for the first time out.  I do not necessarily mind the Southwest Carrier but it does not have wheels which I would prefer because of a shoulder injury.  A wheeled tote pet carrier would be great.  Does anyone have some suggestions that would meet the dimension requirements but also have wheels? 

Alicgmood10
Explorer C

For those who are still looking for a carriers (like me)

https://www.bestadvisor.com/cat-carriers

dfwskier
Aviator A

Remember, whatever you buy has to fit under the seat in front of you.

if you buy a soft side carrier, you can buy it a bit higher than the spec because you can squish it down to fit.

That won't work with a hard carrier.

SingingAngel
Explorer C

Numerous reviews have shown that Southwest is very accommodating when it comes to small pets in pet carriers.  Their own pet carrier is 17 X 9.5 X 10 inches (L x H x W) but other carriers are allowed max dimensions of 18.5 X 8.5 X 13.5 inches.  Of course it doesn't make sense that other carriers should only be allowed a height of 8.5 inches.  In my experience flying on Southwest, they didn't try to measure my pet carrier.  I use the Sherpa Travel Original Deluxe Airline Approved Pet Carrier sold on Amazon.com.  They state that their small and medium are guaranteed to fit on most airlines.  Their medium is 17 X 10.5 X 11, which exceeds the height maximum, but I had no problem fitting it under the seat.  There are numerous customer reviews stating that their small and medium fit on Southwest Airlines, and some reviews even said that they were able to get their large carrier onboard.  

Of note, the description for this carrier says, "Note: carrier is designed for pets lying down, pet may not be able to stand." However most websites would say that a good carrier allows a pet to stand up and turn around.  If you're traveling short distances, it's reasonable that your pet could lay down throughout the trip.  But for longer distances, you should consider traveling on other airlines which allow your pet to travel in a larger carrier but in cargo (not with you in the cabin), or consider leaving your pet with a reliable dog sitter.  

karajayhawk
Explorer C

This thread is helpful. I just called customer service to verify pet carrier dimensions. The SW-sold carrier is as described above. The agent could not verify maximum dimensions allowed for other non-SW pet carriers (why?). The under seat dimensions provided by the agent were 19" long, 8.25" high, 14" wide (aisle and window). Based on this discussion, it sounds like we are ok with a soft-sided carrier that can be stuffed below the 8.25" seat height. Frustrating when customer service can't verify for me. I asked whether they measured at the airport and the agent could not verify either.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@karajayhawk wrote:

This thread is helpful. I just called customer service to verify pet carrier dimensions. The SW-sold carrier is as described above. The agent could not verify maximum dimensions allowed for other non-SW pet carriers (why?). The under seat dimensions provided by the agent were 19" long, 8.25" high, 14" wide (aisle and window). Based on this discussion, it sounds like we are ok with a soft-sided carrier that can be stuffed below the 8.25" seat height. Frustrating when customer service can't verify for me. I asked whether they measured at the airport and the agent could not verify either.

1)I have never seen Southwest size check any carry on at the airport. At the gate, something way oversized  may get flagged., but I've seen some pretty big oversized things brought on board. Anyone that wants to get away with something a bit bigger than spec will get away with it.

2) Southwest probably can't quote quote the dimensions allowed for non SW pet carriers because there are different seats on different planes. I would imagine  that they have different underseat clearances. Thus Southwest does the safe thing by quoting smallest possible dimensions  because that is what you might find on your flight.

bwidavidg
Explorer C

I just received the Southwest carrier and am highly disappointed. My dog is 15# and I cannot imagine this carrier is sturdy enough to support the weight. The floor panel is a thin piece of cardboard covered in vinyl that bows at the slightest pressure. The metal hardware is cheap, and the fabric is flimsy. For $70, I expected something much better. I have a couple of $25 carriers that are better made. 

Since Southwest will not even consider returns for this item, this was a complete waste of money and all I can do is throw it in the garbage. 

I'm really disappointed Southwest would put their name on something that is this poorly constructed. Maybe earlier versions were better. What I got was garbage.