Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pet fee - why?

ishish
Explorer C

This post is ridiculous.

And ESA is NOT the same as a service animal. All pets are technically ESAs as a pet provides emotional support when cuddling, acting cute, etc.

ESA's are NOT trained to do disability related tasks. They do not have any specialized skills. They are animals doing their evolutionary duty of comforting humans. It is a fancy name for a pet. There is no such thing as an ESA certificate as an ESA does not have any specialized training. 

A service animal is a dog or sometimes miniature horse that does a minimum of 4 specialized tasks in order to support a human being with a disability. A disability means you cannot do a major life function due to the medical condition. Service animals are NOT pets and may provide emotional support, however that is not their duty. There is also no such thing as a "certificate" for service animals. 

The fact that people are out here trying to use legitimate psychiatric illnesses to travel with their pets is horrifying. If someone ACTUALLY needed a service dog present for psychiatric illness to travel, they would be working with their medical professionals for YEARS to select and train the animal. You don't simply go online and print off a certificate and show up at the gate.

This kind of behavior is negative for people who legitimately depend on service animals that are trained to perform specific disability related tasks. Keep your pets at home or fork over the $100. smh

Shanea_p
Explorer C

This is not a solution. Pet fees are now $125 one way, we deserve full explanations. Like it or not, pets are family for folks & aren’t doing anything to be capitalized off of. 

My experience would have been perfect if it wasn’t for the expensive charge for my dog. I have a 8lb Toy Poodle that was smaller than my carry on bag and had to pay $125 for him one way. My own ticket wasn’t $125 yet he had to stay in his bag under an Economy seat for $125. He didn’t receive first class seats, no complimentary snacks, or water. Just the opportunity to travel with his family for $125 one way. My bags were free. We didn’t get to board or un-board first. But he had to wait until we get outside of the airport to get pet relief. I don’t understand why we have to pay such horrendous fees. I could see if 1 pet bag could travel free but if there’s an accident or damages, then that owner gets charged, or at least refund the fees if all goes well.
My dog was so quiet that people kept asking if he was in the bag. This fee really ruined my experience.

jwatzke
Explorer C

I 100% agree. I give my dog a sedative so he sleeps the whole time, he’s a Yorkie so he’s hypoallergenic, and stays in his carrier the entire time. But I’m only allowed to bring one carry on because my second carry on is my pet carrier? I have to spend $250 round trip for him to sleep stuffed under the seat in front of me. Oh and every flight I have been on someone has always commented about how good and quiet he is or they had no clue there was a dog down there until we landed. It’s price gouging for sure and makes me not want to fly Southwest anymore. I live in Texas and my family is in California. I go home for weeks at a time so there is no way I wouldn’t travel with my dog. At least give him his own seat if he’s going to cost the same price as my ticket. 

barbtim12
Explorer C
Pet fee.....there shouldn't even be animals on the plane. I don't want anyone's animals in the same area that I paid more than your pet fee to ride in. Why should everyone else have to put up with the smell, alergy, noise. We recently had to put up with a howling little mutt off and on for a five hour flight. You shouldn't have the right to trample on others travel time just because you can't be without you animal.

lemonsupreme
Explorer C

We are talking about dogs not snakes.Will you be sitting under the seat in front of you? I mean I dont think you paid to sit under the seat. When I brought my dog no one ever knew he was on the plane. He doesnt smell and he was as quiet as a mouse! People bring their pets for different reasons.  Howling mutt..pulease you get the same nosie with crying babies! Id rather hear a dog than a wailing baby!

sndrprtt
Explorer C

Barbtim, I hear where you're coming from (I feel the same way about screaming babies and toddlers), but your reply is inappropriate for this thread... we are questioning SWA's pet fee imposed on its passengers. Its repredentative suggests there are other "considerations" that validate the fee, but it doesn't explain what those are. It's possible that SWA charges its $95 per way fee simply because "it can" and we are questioning that regulation. Start your own thread regarding SWA's allowing dogs/cats on board. My opinion.

ishish
Explorer C

Charging a pet fee is the same as being charged a pet deposit or pet rent at an apartment. It is for the liability that bringing a live animal onto a plane causes.

You do not know if your pet causes a severe allergic reaction for the surrounding passengers. 

They also have to ensure that your pet did not leave a mess after the flight, which adds extra responsibilities to the flight crew.

Also, it is an extra service, so you have to pay an extra fee. They are allowing you to bring a live animal onto a flight without knowing any details about that animals temperament. The pet owners griping about fees in this thread are the kind of pet owners that veterinarians mock for being parasocial.

floridaguy
Aviator C

WOW - this subject is hotter than the preboarding subject!

floridaguy
Aviator C

Recently, I was told that the pet may also "preboard" if the owner declares that their pet also has a disability.  

lemonsupreme
Explorer C

Exactly!