Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pet policy

CaptnPaul
Explorer C

If it’s so clear why did your employee tell us if the dogs head and tail would fit in the carrier we would be good yeti go?  Even your employees don’t know the policy. Look again on line the pet policy page is not the same one you posted. On top of all that you agent and supervisor were flat out rude!  The  lines in Orlando  are unbelievable. Everyone there was in disbelief. Go unannounced and see for yourself 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Pet policy

dfwskier
Aviator A

would you care to explain what happened?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier Southwest enforced policy that OP didn't read.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

That would have been easier to understand if the OP hadn't put parts of the details in three different posts.

CaptnPaul
Explorer C

I’d be happy to. Prior to booking our flight I read what I thought was the pet policy. It was one page. Apparently, the second section didn’t load onto my phone for some reason. That’s the section that has the piece about the pet being able to stand up and turn around in the carrier. Since our Sherpa pet carrier was one inch longer than the dimensions in the policy, I called to make sure it would be ok. The young lady said no problem as long as the pet can put its head and tail in the carrier at the same time we would be good to go. The pet carrier said 20 lbs maximum. Our mini poodle is 15 lbs. Once we made it to the agent in the full service line, after waiting for nearly an hour in the regular line, the agent called the supervisor. Immediately. This lady was speaking through a load speaker she was wearing and was right in front of us. We had trained our dog to sit and lay down in the carrier. She said put the dog in the container. We did so, and she said you can’t board the plane because the dog can’t stand up and turn around in the container and was extremely rude screaming it through the loud speaker. She said she would refund my money. We had paid an additional $80 to board in the first section. She refunded the $80 but gave me a voucher for two more tickets as I learned when I got home. She did not refund my money as she stated. Southwest can fight it out with American Express as I would rather walk than fly on Southwest. My son who travels frequently, sees dogs larger than ours in the airports every time he flys. If the dog has to standup and turn around it would have to be 5 lbs or have no legs to do so. Thanks for reading.