Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Physical disability requiring sitting in a reclined position

pointofyou
Explorer C

My father uses an electric wheelchair.  He is unable to use a portable wheelchair because his spinal injury requires him to sit in a slighltly reclined position.  Is there a way he can travel on a plane without being in an upright position for portions of the flight? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Physical disability requiring sitting in a reclined position

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A
Solution

@pointofyou wrote:

My father uses an electric wheelchair.  He is unable to use a portable wheelchair because his spinal injury requires him to sit in a slighltly reclined position.  Is there a way he can travel on a plane without being in an upright position for portions of the flight? 

Hello pointofyou.

Southwest doesn't necessarily monitor this forum. For a specific question, like the one you are asking, I suggest that you contact Southwest staff directly, by clicking on the "need help? contact us" link at the bottom of this page.

I hope your father finds a way to travel comfortably and safely.

Passenger1C
Aviator C
Solution

@pointofyou my suggestion is to call SWA. 

Customers may also advise us of any disability-related travel needs at the time of booking by telephone or, if a reservation has already been made, by calling 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792) prior to travel.

You can read more details by clicking on the following link:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol....

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear of your father's predicamet.

Almost  all Southwest seats recline a bit. The exceptions are exit row seats, the seats immediately in front of exit rows, amd the very last row of seats on the plane. Gvien that, I'm afraid your father will be dealing with a federal rule that seats must be upright in takeoff or landing configuration. The rule is in place to insure the plane can be quickly evacuated should there be a need to do so.