Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Picking up live crawfish

garrettgc
Explorer C

I am having live crawfish flown into Nashville this weekend and wanted to know how they are handled and where would I pick them up. Are they considered checked luggage and are they distributed at the baggage carousel like any other pieces of luggage? Thank you. 

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Picking up live crawfish

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Are they being transported as cargo or baggage?  I think you would need to get that cleared up with the shipper.  My guess is cargo which is handled at another location, not baggage claim.  Your shipper should have details provided to them from Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

garrettgc
Explorer C

Great. Thanks for the link. I appreciate it. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

rule of thumb --

if it is travelling with a person, it is likely baggage or carry on

if it is not travelling with a person, it is likely cargo

garrettgc
Explorer C

This is helpful. I wasn't aware that there were 2 classifications for cargo/baggage. I will ask my shipper which one then figure out where to retrieve flight cargo. Thank you. 

bec102896
Aviator A

Be sure you share some with your flight crew and fellow passengers 😜

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

Be sure you share some with your flight crew and fellow passengers 😜

If the package breaks open in the overhead then they will share themselves with everyone onboard 🤣

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@garrettgc wrote:

I am having live crawfish flown into Nashville this weekend and wanted to know how they are handled and where would I pick them up. Are they considered checked luggage and are they distributed at the baggage carousel like any other pieces of luggage? Thank you. 

Is someone hand delivering them? That would be the scenario where they could end up on the carousel. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@garrettgc wrote:

Is someone hand delivering them? That would be the scenario where they could end up on the carousel. 

In which case I personally would want to have carried it on in that scenario and not checked them, so carousel is still unlikely even with a hand delivery.