Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Policy changing flights due to death in family

Sleepypino
Explorer C

What is the policy as far as changing flights due to death in the family?  I had to change the date of my return flight a day later due to family death.  I was charged the difference of cost of flights. Is there a chance to get refunded the money since it was a death in the family and I have the appropriate documentation?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Policy changing flights due to death in family

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sorry to hear about your loss. Southwest won't refund the fare difference that you paid as part of the normal itinerary change process, but at least you didn't have to pay a change fee that other airlines charge.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Re: Policy changing flights due to death in family

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Sleepypino wrote:

What is the policy as far as changing flights due to death in the family?  I had to change the date of my return flight a day later due to family death.  I was charged the difference of cost of flights. Is there a chance to get refunded the money since it was a death in the family and I have the appropriate documentation?

Sorry to hear that @Sleepypino

You'd have to call and ask for an exception, the current policy doesn't include any bereavement or emergency fares.

I don't know if they might offer on a case-by-case basis although it is probably incrementally harder to get a refund if you already rebooked.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/bereavement/

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.