Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Possible to book an extra seat for an iMac?

adamz
Explorer C

Hello!

I'm going to need to travel across the country in February and I'll need to bring my work computer with me. I was curious if it's at all possible to book an extra seat for a 27" iMac. 

I was hoping this was an option as shipping costs are through the roof and I'm terrified of checking it. It's not my property and I need it on an almost daily basis, so I cant have anything happen to it.

I was hoping someone could help me out. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Possible to book an extra seat for an iMac?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@adamz wrote:

Hello!

I'm going to need to travel across the country in February and I'll need to bring my work computer with me. I was curious if it's at all possible to book an extra seat for a 27" iMac. 

I was hoping this was an option as shipping costs are through the roof and I'm terrified of checking it. It's not my property and I need it on an almost daily basis, so I cant have anything happen to it.

I was hoping someone could help me out. 

Yes. Southwest allows the purchase of an extra seat for transporting "large musical instruments or electronic audio/video, medical, or otherwise sensitive equipment." You may need to reach out to Customer Relations to find out exactly how to go about making the reservation.

Contact Customer Relations 

Be aware that the computer will need to be "in a case or covered" -- presumably the original box would suffice.

It's worth noting that, unless you're a Customer of Size, Southwest won't allow you to purchase a 2nd seat solely as extra space for yourself.

All this info is in the Southwest Contract of Carriage (pdf)

4. Tickets
a. Tickets
(3) Purchase of Additional Seat. The purchase of more than one seat for use by a single Passenger is required when necessary to transport large musical instruments or electronic audio/video, medical, or otherwise sensitive equipment unsuitable for Carriage as Checked Baggage, as specified in Section 7.

It is the Passenger’s responsibility to notify Carrier of any unique seating needs. In accordance with Section 6, Carrier may refuse to transport individuals who are unable or unwilling to comply with Carrier’s seating requirements. Purchase of more than one seat for use by a single Passenger for the sole purpose of ensuring additional personal space is prohibited, except in limited circumstances when the Carrier, in its discretion, permits it.

----

7. Baggage
a. Carryon Baggage
(5) Instruments and Equipment. The following conditions apply to acceptance for Carriage in the cabin of large musical instruments and electronic, computer, audio/video, or other equipment and parts thereof, the size or shape of which prevents such instruments or equipment from being handled as normal carryon Baggage.
(i) The instrument or equipment must be contained in a case or covered so as to avoid injury to other Passengers.
(ii) A reservation must be made for the instrument or equipment at a charge no greater than the Child Fare for each seat used.
(iii) The instrument or equipment must be stowed in accordance with FAA requirements for carriage of carryon baggage.

adamz
Explorer C

Thank you so much!

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I learn something new all the time in this forum.  There you go all you folks wanting the middle seat open or would like to purchase that extra seat, borrow a tuba from somebody and get that extra seat.  Just don't TAKE my wanna get away price seat, wait until after there is only business and business select seats...thanks.