Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Possible to purchase extra seat after you book?

gabelogan99
Explorer B

Customer of size here. I have some concerns and I think I should purchase an extra seat. There are reasons I didn’t do it when I booked this particular trip. However, I normally do it and know how to book the extra seat. I just didn’t know if I’d be able to do that since I’ve already booked. Can I just do it as normal with XS as the middle name even if I’m just booking one seat?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Possible to purchase extra seat after you book?

gabelogan99
Explorer B

Wanted 2 add real fast.. I didn’t do it when I originally booked because I was using points and only had enough points for one seat.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Yes you can buy the 2nd seat after you bought your original flight however I think you need to do this buy phone that way they can link the 2 reservations together as a COS. 

Also by calling they can match the price you paid for the 1st seat *you may need to remind the representative of that though when calling or they may try to charge you the current price which could be much higher. 

-Blake

gabelogan99
Explorer B

I wanted to add something to this, because I've encountered it a few times now. This time, my company paid for my flight and I did not want them to have to buy an extra seat or explain to them how to do so. So, I called and purchased the extra seat myself. However, I was told that the reservations CAN NOT be connected. This means that they have to fix it at the check-in counter on the day of travel. However, it still secures an extra seat so that they do not overbook. The pet peeve in this situation is that Southwest wants you to call them in order to book the extra seat when you can just as easily do it yourself. But I do like the policy of being able to buy an extra seat, especially since it's refunded, but I just think they could fine-tune it a little more to make it easier on everyone.

floridaguy
Aviator C

No they cannot be connected.  One reason is that the boarding position has already been sequentially established.  They are not going to rearrange the boarding positions just so that your ticket can be connected.