Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Pre-Boarding Abuse & Seat Savings

blsinmd
Adventurer B

SW needs to get a handle on both these issues.  Alot of people are abusing the pre-boading aka Miracle Flights.  I see it all the time, once they reach their destination all the sudden they no longer need assistance. Start charging for pre-boarding like any other upgrade, watch it diminish an all the sudden not be so important for some.

One person of size talking about going to "Vegas" and needing to pre-board as they have trouble walking down the plane aisle?  Isn't there a lot of walking involved in Vegas, js. 

Flight attendants need to get involved and not let seat saving happen.  People are saving rows of seats for friends that were too cheap to purchase an upgrade or EB. If I see it, I'll state seats are first come, first serve and sit where I want to sit. People are getting ticked and tired of the privledged ignorance. 

December 2021 I was on a flight to Jamaica, there were literally 15 pre-boarders (wheel chairs) & companions. Some didn't seem to have any trouble getting around once arriving.    

109 REPLIES 109

Re: Pre-Boarding Abuse & Seat Savings

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Perhaps we need to get a handle on these threads instead.  This has been discussed before, lots of times, no need for another thread with the same complaining.  You're welcome to send your thoughts directly to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

In summary, Southwest does not and will not prohibit seat saving.  Pre-boarding is required by federal law and an airline is not allowed to inquire about the "legitimacy" of the request.

--TheMiddleSeat

blsinmd
Adventurer B

Maybe SW does needs to address if it has "been discussed before, lots of times.  Obviously nothing is being done. I am aware the of Federal law requiring pre-boarding. But we had to show a negative COVID test? 

SW and the flight crew DO allow seat saving to happen, I've witnessed it many times.  It's time the laws change.  

Although it will probably be ignored, I do intend to send my thoughts directly to Southwest. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You want changes to preboarding?  Contact your legislator.

Yes, seat saving happens.  The policy neither allows, nor disallows it.  If you are so bothered by it perhaps fly an airline with assigned seating.

--TheMiddleSeat

blsinmd
Adventurer B

These are concerns of mine and obviously other passengers. 

No need to be rude and ignorant in your responses. 

I am currently looking into other airlines. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You attempt to connect providing proof of covid test to preboarding and call me ignorant?  You assume everyone who can walk is not disabled and call me ignorant?

--TheMiddleSeat

blsinmd
Adventurer B

Not true....again, I am aware all disabilities are not visable. 

Your responses are unnecessarily rude. I am voicing what I and others see.  I will definitely peruse my concerns other than here. 

Do you work for SW? 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Why is it when someone calls out another person's uninformed comments and provides clarification of policy they are considered rude?

You suggested Southwest charge for preboarding.  Are you not aware how many federal laws that would violate?

You mentioned that covid tests were required on some flights so similar checks should be done with preboarders, but failed to understand that covid policy is because of federal law, not because Southwest chose to do so.  Same with preboarding, federal law dictates what Southwest can and cannot do.

You said, "there were literally 15 pre-boarders (wheel chairs) & companions. Some didn't seem to have any trouble getting around once arriving." and " Isn't there a lot of walking involved in Vegas," yet preboarding has nothing to do with being able to walk.  If you would actually take the time to be aware of policies, the preboarding policy states, "Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device."  There is nothing in there about having trouble walking or that would disallow someone who didn't "have any trouble getting around once arriving"

I was also not the one who started name calling.

I do not work for Southwest.

--TheMiddleSeat

blsinmd
Adventurer B

When you speak the truth. Some....tend to not like it!  

Uninformed comments, not so.  Yep, I did say You ssay "there were literally 15 pre-boarders (wheel chairs) & companions." I'm certain you weren't on that flight and didn't witness it, I did.  It's even a joked about by some SW employee's the miracle flights.  Those folks needed assistance getting on the plane but didn't have any trouble getting around once at there destination.  "Isn't there a lot of walking involved in Vegas," <-- again, I watched it. 

"Yet preboarding has nothing to do with being able to walk." Sure it could, if they are claiming to have a mobile disability.  "Need assistance in boarding the aircraft" could most likely mean having mobilty troubles.   Word salad.....

Anyway....I fand I'm sure others feel as though some changes need to happen.  Taking my complaint to where maybe it will matter.  No need for you to keep replying with your copy and paste answers.  

Have A Wonderful Day!  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@blsinmd wrote:

Anyway....I fand I'm sure others feel as though some changes need to happen.  Taking my complaint to where maybe it will matter.  No need for you to keep replying with your copy and paste answers.  

Have A Wonderful Day!  

Where your comment would matter is with your elected federal senators and representatives.

Southwest is following federal law. If you don't like it, do something that might change things - complain to the feds.

If you want SW to violate the law, forget it - ain't gonna happen.