Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-Boarding Abuse & Seat Savings

blsinmd
Adventurer B

I think you may have misunderstood.  The gentleman was not shaming anyone with a true handicap that needs assistance at all, neither would I.  I think he was referring to those that abuse the SW boading practice and yes, many do, I've witnessed it many times. All of the sudden, once they reach their destination, they no longer need the wheel chair or assistance, can't get off the plane fast enough.  

Then to irrogantly rub this practice in the faces that pay extra for business class to board fights early is quiet rude to brag about it..  I do wonder, how other airlines handle this situation, "the Law"? Do they bump folks that have purchased  first class seats, like me? I don't think so.  They are, they put passengers in economy seating, behind first class, which is typically an additional charge. Bet if SW starting charging the abuse would stop. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

The law is the same for all airlines:

People that claim a need to pre board MUST be allowed to pre board. That is it.

Most airlines have pre assigned seats, so people on those airlines pre board and go directly to their assigned seats. They don't take seats from other people.

Southwest has no pre assigned seats, so pre boarders go for whatever seats they want  - except for exit row.

blsinmd
Adventurer B

Yep...and those other airlines, guarantee you don't have the abuse of the system that SW has. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@blsinmd if you think it's a big deal then perhaps other airlines with assigned seats are a better fit for you.

--TheMiddleSeat

blsinmd
Adventurer B

That's for me to choose, not you.

blsinmd
Adventurer B

I think you may have misunderstood.  The gentleman was not shaming anyone with a true handicap that needs assistance at all, neither would I.  I think he was referring to those that abuse the SW boading practice and yes, many do, I've witnessed it many times. All of the sudden, once they reach their destination, they no longer need the wheel chair or assistance, can't get off the plane fast enough.  

Then to irrogantly rub this practice in the faces that pay extra for business class to board fights early is quiet rude to brag about it..  I do wonder, how other airlines handle this situation, "the Law"? Do they bump folks that have purchased  first class seats, like me? I don't think so.  They are, they put passengers in economy seating, behind first class, which is typically an additional charge. Bet if SW starting charging the abuse would stop.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@blsinmd other airlines have assigned seats.

--TheMiddleSeat

blsinmd
Adventurer B

Yes.....I am VERY aware of that. I purchase First Class seats. How do they handle this "Law"?  Bump 1st class or charge for the upgrades to economy class, behind 1st class? 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@blsinmd you sit in your assigned seat on other airlines, not any available seat.  If you need a specific seat you book it.

--TheMiddleSeat

blsinmd
Adventurer B

Again, I am well aware of that. Guarantee you other airlines are also following the law and don't have the "system abuse", taking advantage of like SW.  Like anything else, systems will be abused if allowed.  Makes it bad for those that really, truly need it.  Like emotional support animals, that changed. They are considered pets, not working service animals.