Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Pre-Boarding Abuse & Seat Savings

mrsstats
Adventurer C

What I don’t understand is to get a handicap parking pass you need a letter from a doctor. Why can’t the same idea be applied to preboarding?

dfwskier
Aviator A

As I said earlier in the thread -- because federal law does not allow it. Wanna see that changed? Contact the feds.

blsinmd
Adventurer B

That's my thought as well.  They can do that without disclosing medical information. But, then you would probably have fake Dr. letters.  

I get things happen. I was on a flight, a girl had apparently injured her ankle while on vacation and couldn't walk very well. However, when she pre boarded, 3 of her friends boarded with her.  

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

"However, when she pre boarded, 3 of her friends boarded with her."

Maybe she should have boarded by herself and saved 3 seats?

blsinmd
Adventurer B

They can "TRY" to save seats all they want.  First come first serve, if no one is physically in a seat that I want to sit in.....I'm sitting in it. That's how that works! 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@blsinmd A customer of size pre-boards. I don't care if s/he can run a marathon. The pre-boarding is to ensure that they get two seats together. 

As for "miracle flight", I'm assuming you use term for people who go down the jetway in a wheelchair and then walk off the plane. Since we all seem to be in the mood for repeating things over and over again, that's a seriously ignorant thing to say. Few people are unable to walk at least a short distance. Virtually all of the people who go down the jetway in a wheelchair get up and walk to their seat once they reach the door. Then, when the flight lands, they walk off the plane to where a wheelchair is waiting for them at the door. Just because you saw them walk off the plane doesn't mean a miracle occurred. They still need a wheelchair, but not to get on and off the plane.

blsinmd
Adventurer B

I know that wheel chairs don't fit on planes and am well aware of what happens.  I'm talking about the ones that once at their destination, all the sudden don't require a wheel chair.  That's a "Miracle Flight", I see it all the time!  I frankly don't care if you think my commnets are ignorant or not. My opinion and I'm "Entitled" to it, just as well as you are yours.  Obviously you missed something. I think it's extremely ignorant to fake a disability because they fell entitled. 

KLaMonica
Adventurer A

Covid test results and vaccination statuses are not protected information. Why? Vaccination status is not a medical condition, therefor not protected under HIPAA 1996. Test results for a contagious virus, which is still ravaging the world, are also not protected because ... wait for it ... it's contagious. AND people who fly may be immunocompromised, may not be fully vaccinated (yet), or may be ineligible for vaccination due to age. 

Disabilities, on the other hand, are NOT contagious. And the reason a disability IS protected information under HIPAA 1996, is because people are discriminated against, judged by, and treated poorly by many other people  - as has been demonstrated in this thread. 

So, even IF none of this were federally mandated, required, protected, et c - it's STILL the right thing to do. If anyone wants seat choice, they can certainly upgrade their ticket. If not, it seems that what you're really asking for is the undue/unearned entitlement you're accusing others of. 

blsinmd
Adventurer B

FYI - I have not discriminated against, judged, and treated people poorly due to a TRUE disability. 

The FAKES taking advantage....yes! The ones that no longer need assistance once they reach their destination. 

"undue/unearned entitlement" Excuse me??? I pay for Business Select, so yeah, I am entitled!  Yes....others should pay for the same upgrades instead of expecting the entitlement. 

I won't even go into the whole Covid thing.....smh

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@blsinmd wrote:

FYI - I have not discriminated against, judged, and treated people poorly due to a TRUE disability. 

And there's the discrimination and judgment. You know they don't meet the criteria for preboarding because... ???

--TheMiddleSeat