Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Promo code blackout days?

alfredojahn
Employee
Employee

I just booked a flight using RR points for my son and his friend from college back home for a few days. When I used one of my promo (discount) codes, I noticed that the discount was not being applied on the outbound flight (MSY to DAL on May 27), meaning that the original amount of points did not have a strike through it, but the discounts showed up on the return flight. The only thing I can think of is the outbound was on the Friday before Memorial Day. Are 20% discount codes not allowed on holiday weekends? I don't remember seeing that mentioned anywhere, but I generally don't always read the fine print. Not a big deal, since it was still a great deal for that one flight, but I was just wondering what the policy is. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Promo code blackout days?

dfwskier
Aviator A

here are the rules as I understand them

• Book a flight with Southwest Airlines before midnight on March 31, 2022.
  • Travel must take place between March 29 and May 25, 2022.
  • Use the promo code SAVE20NOW with your Southwest Rapid Rewards points and receive 20% off
  • Only valid on new award tickets

alfredojahn
Employee
Employee

Hmm. I used a promo code that was given to employees for flights in 2022. My understanding is that there is no "book before" or "use before". I guess I need to go find the original email and read the fine print. Thanks.

alfredojahn
Employee
Employee
Solution

I just found the original email and now I see that there are some blackout dates. 

Travel is blacked out May 27, May 30, July 1, July 22, July 31, November 22-23, November 26-28, December 21-23, 2022.

So I guess that explains it. One of the travel dates was May 27.