Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Questions from unfrequent flyer

DefyingGravity9
Explorer C

Hi guys! I've been lurking for a few weeks, and could use some help in planning certain aspects of an upcoming trip. It will be the longest time I've been on a plane, and also the only time I've ever dealt with layovers, and my first time I've flown with Southwest.

Anyway, my trip is from CVG to SFO, with a layover at Midway both going and returning.

1. Obviously, I plan to grab breakfast at CVG, but while my layover at Midway is almost 2 hours, do you think I'll have time to grab "lunch" there, or would you grab a snack at CVG and eat a breakfast at Midway? Flight from CVG leaves at 650am, and lands at Midway at 705am Chicago time.

2. I'm planning on just doing a carry on and the personal item, but I'm wondering if it would be easier to check the bag, to not have to lug anything other than the personal item through the airport(s)? Can you check carry on size luggage? Would the layover increase the chances of it being lost, if so? 

Thank you guys! I just don't do much flying, so I thought I'd run these questions across you guys 🙂

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Questions from unfrequent flyer

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@DefyingGravity9 wrote:

Hi guys! I've been lurking for a few weeks, and could use some help in planning certain aspects of an upcoming trip. It will be the longest time I've been on a plane, and also the only time I've ever dealt with layovers, and my first time I've flown with Southwest.

Anyway, my trip is from CVG to SFO, with a layover at Midway both going and returning.

1. Obviously, I plan to grab breakfast at CVG, but while my layover at Midway is almost 2 hours, do you think I'll have time to grab "lunch" there, or would you grab a snack at CVG and eat a breakfast at Midway? Flight from CVG leaves at 650am, and lands at Midway at 705am Chicago time.

Hello. Assuming your CVG flight is on time, you should have plenty of time to eat lunch. There are places to eat spread along the concourses as well as a food court near TSA. Using your two hours, you'd have 1.5 hours to exit the arriving flight, eat and get back to the gate before your flight to SFO begins to board 30 minutes prior to flight time

2. I'm planning on just doing a carry on and the personal item, but I'm wondering if it would be easier to check the bag, to not have to lug anything other than the personal item through the airport(s)? Can you check carry on size luggage? Would the layover increase the chances of it being lost, if so? 

Checked bags can  get temporarily lost . It doesn't happen frequently, but it does happen. 

Yes you can check a carry on, and no the longer layover does not increase chances of it being lost.  Just be sure to not pack anything you really need in a checked bag (medicine comes to mind). If you can juggle the bags and the food you plan to buy for lunch, I'd just bring the bags on board. But given the proviso above, checking would work fine, too.

Enjoy your trip to the city by the bay!

Thank you guys! I just don't do much flying, so I thought I'd run these questions across you guys 🙂

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@DefyingGravity9 wrote:

The critical question first:

• I'm digging the breakfast omelettes at Billy Goat near the A4A concourse. Omelettes and hashbrowns on the griddle...delicious! A-gates will also have a Reilly's Daughter pub (also near A4 food court) if you want to sit down, and True Burger I haven't tried yet myself but has something for breakfast.  That's between A4 and A3. If you are back at dinner time there are several interesting spots for woodfire pizza, sushi, and some others.
  • B concourse has several great options the new Big and Little's, Porkchop for a biscuit, or HVAC Pub much further down the concourse has breakfast sandwiches and also the fastest and very good coffee. 
  • If you go towards the C concourse there is Big Shoulder's coffe at the Espresso Cafe between regular security and PreCheck security. Southwest does not fly from the C concourse so it would only make sense to stop at Cafe Espresso if you come in from CVG in one concourse and have to connect in the other concourse - otherwise you may prefer to stay within A or B gates to have more time to eat.
  • There is also a food court at the main security gate where A, B, and C with a Greek place that has breakfast, also DeColores for latino breakfast options, and several more lunchy spots.

Here's the full list, let us know if you have any questions:

https://www.flychicago.com/midway/eatshopmore/eat/pages/default.aspx

Oh - I recommend "Nuts on Clark" near B3 for 2/3 caramel corn and 1/3 cheesy corn mixture to take with you on the plane or if you need to bring a gift at your destination.

@DefyingGravity9 wrote:

It will be easier in the airport for sure to have checked it. The alternative would be if your luggage is spinner type or two wheels and your personal item can latch or hang from the luggage like some roller bag / weekender bag combos then it really isn't a burden since you would have been carrying one item anyway - it might actually be easier rolling both than carrying one.

Just having a backpack is nice too depending how much stuff you put in there.

I'm sure statistics would show some level of increase that every time luggage is handled, there is a chance for it to be mis-handled. All airports won't be equal in this regard either but I don't have any data to show that MDW is good or bad relative to others...so speaking from the engineering perspective the risk is certainly higher than not connecting, but the increase could be 0.01% increasing to 0.02% for instance...not much of a risk either way. (I'm making up these numbers but understand that industry-wide the rate of mishandling is order of magnitude 1%, and of those most are eventually re-united with the owner at some point.)

People with irreplaceable items, expensive items, business travelers on tight appointments will all tend to carry on. The risk is too high even at an ultra-low percent. 

Leisure travelers checking clothes and with flexible agendas...the benefit of traveling light may be appealing. Also if you will check any liquids that you couldn't otherwise carry through security.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DPontheGo
Adventurer C

I'm loving all the food recommendations listed.  Now I want to fly into that airport just to eat.  😉

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@DPontheGo wrote:

I'm loving all the food recommendations listed.  Now I want to fly into that airport just to eat.  😉

If I can pick one for lunch/dinner it would be Big and Little's. For breakfast though I enjoy an omelette or else the bbq biscuit at Porkchop. 

Midway really upped their game this past year with renovations, although they removed two beloved outlets as well - Manny's Deli and Potbelly.

There are still some changes coming though, so it should be well-above average dining airport at the end.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DPontheGo wrote:

My favorite fun food place is Gold Coast Dogs - in the food court nearest A concourse. There is always a line so it appears that it's a favorite for many people.   Chicago style hot dogs and / or Polish. Hot dog meal (about 10 bucks) is a hot dog with everything (peppers, relish, onion, tomato and pickles), greasy tasty Chicago style frys and a drink. When I went to school in Champaign we had a place that sold these and called them "garbage trucks."

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Semi-related: While I like many of the new food options at MDW in theory, unfortunately service remains a disaster.

Lines are often very long, and disinterested employees move slowly and make lots of mistakes. All the restaurants now use employees (and common food items) from the same company (SSP America), and even my old go-to's like Pegasus now have awful service and offer many of the same items as other places. The Nuts on Clark line is always now out the door and barely moves, while before, even when it was long, it moved quickly. No Starbucks (or places that serve it, like Potbelly did), and no McDonalds (a previously solid option for families or quick breakfast on the run.) 😞

I find now that I stop and grab breakfast at a drive-thru prior to the airport more often than not. Having waited in lines that took way too long and had me cutting it close to boarding time, I'd suggest that dining at MDW is great -- when you have lots of time. 😉

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Semi-related: While I like many of the new food options at MDW in theory, unfortunately service remains a disaster.

Lines are often very long, and disinterested employees move slowly and make lots of mistakes. All the restaurants now use employees (and common food items) from the same company (SSP America), and even my old go-to's like Pegasus now have awful service and offer many of the same items as other places. The Nuts on Clark line is always now out the door and barely moves, while before, even when it was long, it moved quickly. No Starbucks (or places that serve it, like Potbelly did), and no McDonalds (a previously solid option for families or quick breakfast on the run.) 😞

I was so excited when the dunkin donut kiosks appeared - they were (and still are improving) so slow! The fastest and best coffee I found was actually at HVAC Pub - only useful if you'll be down at the end of the B-concourse though, although the Big Shoulders coffee at Cafe Espresso by PreCheck security is also appealing just recently being added.

I have found it to be the worst in the mornings. Later in the day lines seem to go faster. Ironically the one thing I can't get at drive-through starbucks and bring through though is the desparately needed coffee.

Tragedy to lose the McDonald's and Potbelly options which were reliable, if not exciting.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@DPontheGo wrote:

My favorite fun food place is Gold Coast Dogs - in the food court nearest A concourse. There is always a line so it appears that it's a favorite for many people.   Chicago style hot dogs and / or Polish. Hot dog meal (about 10 bucks) is a hot dog with everything (peppers, relish, onion, tomato and pickles), greasy tasty Chicago style frys and a drink. When I went to school in Champaign we had a place that sold these and called them "garbage trucks."

I remember a couple of places making breakfast food versions and calling them "Haystacks" - I didn't ever hear about garbage trucks, where were those at?

Did you ever go to Deluxe Billiards?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

@dfwskier wrote:

@DPontheGo wrote:

I remember a couple of places making breakfast food versions and calling them "Haystacks" - I didn't ever here about garbage trucks, where were those at?

Did you ever go to Deluxe Billiards?

Don't remember the name of the place It was  on the south side of Green Street just west of

Wright. It was a very long time ago. Nope, never did Deluxe Billiards.