Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

REFERENCE GUIDE FOR ALLOWED ITEMS?

Craftychick
Explorer A

Haven't flown in 20 years.  Does SWA have a TSA approved reference guide for items such as medications, toiletries and electronics?  Also I knit and want to do so during my flights/layovers.  Are bamboo needles allowed?  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: REFERENCE GUIDE FOR ALLOWED ITEMS?

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Hello.

Southwest does not have a list, but TSA has one. It's not very user friendly, but it does have a search function so that you can see what TSA has to say about individua items.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/all

Edit add: I just looked and was surprised to see that TSA DOES allow knitting needles in either carry on or checked baggage. I was surprised becasue one cannot carry "long" screwdrivers on the plane (presumably because one could stab someone with one), but does allow similarly long knitting needles.

Craftychick
Explorer A

Hello and thank you so much for your assistance as well as the link!

Craftychick
Explorer A

You read my mind!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

I was surprised becasue one cannot carry "long" screwdrivers on the plane (presumably because one could stab someone with one)

My guess on screwdrivers isn't that they're worried about stabbing, but actually disassembling parts of the plane, one screw at a time. "Who unscrewed the wing?!?!?"

--TheMiddleSeat

Craftychick
Explorer A

Hilarious!  I was howling at some of the things they've had to accommodate in their list.  Lol