Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

RESIDUAL TRAVEL FUNDS

HRabb
Explorer C

Like most other's concerns about this topic, I don't see Southwest doing anything to make this a customer-friendly process.  Because everything SWA does is well-thoughtout, I can only assume that this process is done intentionally by them in order to keep their customer's funds.  That's very disappointing.  I am a frequent business traveler and have many changes with ticketing, so although I appreciate the flexible nature of making changes, I don't appreciate complicating what I am entitled to.  You used to be able to call SWA and give them your credit card number that you used to pay for tickets, and then they would tell you if you had any unused funds.  They don't do that anymore - willingly.  They also used to put the confirmation number in the notes at the bottom of your emails so that you could figure out what funds were being used on a particular ticket.  Now it only says "Residual Travel Funds."  That only complicates the process for the customer further.

Now what do we do? 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: RESIDUAL TRAVEL FUNDS

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I've always kept a spreadsheet with the info. Whenever I make a change I jot down the confirmation number, value, and expiration date if I have it. Not that complicated.

A friend of mine who flies at least twice a week is even more old school and keeps a list in a paper journal.

Sure, it's not ideal, and whatever Southwest's motivation may be, I'd much rather have to do some work than pay change fees or not have the option to rebook when fares drop.

HRabb
Explorer C

I totally agree with you regarding the luxury of not having a change fee and the benefit of fare adjustments.  I am a huge fan of Southwest and try to fly them exclusively.

However, just because they are spot-on with their customer-friendy policies doesn't make it acceptable for them to have an inferior refund procedure.  

They are a savy corporation that knows exactly what they are doing.

JaymingFang
Explorer C

is there anyway to view all your residual travel funds or do you just have to put them in an excel spreadsheet.

Thank you

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It is up to you to track your own funds, Southwest does not do this for you.

HRabb
Explorer C

I understand the procedure. I just don’t agree with it and want SWA to explain why they are making it harder than ever to track these funds. I can guarantee they know exactly what each passenger has in funds remaining. Why won’t they streamline this process??

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to that question.

manwadkar
Explorer C

Today only I realised that I have lost so much funds since last couple of years. I always thought that these funds are automatically gets adjusted. I used to be the fan of Southwest and had great respect on them to be honest airline. But these guys rob customers by doing this.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello.

NO airline automatically adjusts left over travel funds. ALL airlines expire those funds after a year or less.

Southwest treats travellers  better than most because Southwest doesn't charge you for the privilege of using travel funds. Other airlines charge somewhere around $200 to do so.

So on United or American your $290 travel fund is worth $90 to you. It's worth $290 on Southwest.  Your $157 travel fund on United or American is worth NOTHING to you. On Southwest it's worth $157.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@manwadkar wrote:

Today only I realised that I have lost so much funds since last couple of years. I always thought that these funds are automatically gets adjusted. I used to be the fan of Southwest and had great respect on them to be honest airline. But these guys rob customers by doing this.

They are pretty generous compared to other airlines by offering no change fees.

I'm sorry that you weren't aware that you had to take action yourself to redeem the travel funds. The process could be easier, but I don't see that they have been deceptive about the travel funds. They do make you keep track of it yourself though.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.