Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Receiving credit for primary card holder for purchase of multiple ticket purchase

MariaTH
Explorer C

My sister purchased tickets for herself and some friends on her credit card. One of the friends no longer speaks to her and will no longer be needing her ticket. My sister called hoping to get a credit, unfortently she can olny get a credit for the ticket under her ex friends name, even though my sister is the primary card holder. How does southwest deal with situations like this. I'm sure its happened before between couples that broken up or a member of the a group no longer is traveling.

any advice?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Receiving credit for primary card holder for purchase of multiple ticket purchase

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The response to you got from Southwest is accurate. If you cancel a Wanna Get Away fare ticket that was paid for (not obtained with points), the credit can only be used by the original passenger. Having/using a Southwest credit card to make the purchase makes no difference.

How would other airlines handle this? First they would charge you a fee to reschedule the flight, then most likely another fee to change the name. In the end you pay more in fees than you paid for the ticket.

Perhaps informing the ex-friend about the credit (which can be used within a year of the original purchase) will help patch things up between the two? Or don't tell them and the credit will be wasted.