Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund Policy

Dmath
Explorer C

I purchased a ticket for my 80 year old mother in law to visit for my son's graduation in May.  Since there is no longer non-stop flights from Pittsburg, I had to get a ticket with a single layover.  She recently had surgery and does not want the layover.  When I tried to cancel the flight, I was told that due to the type of ticket, the funds would not be returned but held for future travel by my mother in law ONLY.  Due to her age and the lack of non stop flights she will never use those funds.  Southwest is affectively stealing the money from me.  Since this flight cost me $725 that I cannot get back, my son's grandmother will not be able to attend his graduation.  I am sending this story to every media outlet in Texas to get these corrupt and senseless policies to the public.  

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Refund Policy

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Dmath wrote:

Southwest is not STEALING anything from you. 

Sorry, but YOU purchased a NON REFUNDABLE ticket. The rules were not hidden. You were WARNED about this during the purchase process. What did you not understand about the word NON REFUNDABLE?

The good news is you will be able to access $625 of your $725, but you will have to wait to do so. SW allows people to convert expired travel funds into vouchers that may be used by anyone. You can do this starting  one year and one day after the date you originally bought the ticket. The fee for doing this is $100. The resulting voucher may be used by anyone and is valid for 6 months from the issue date of the voucher. 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Why would you purchase a non-refundable ticket and then expect it to become "refundable" because you did not effectively communicate with the passenger you were buying the ticket for about her flight preferences? 

Best of luck jousting this windmill 

JEG
Explorer C

I agree with the flyer. Southwest changed the flight, and changed its promise. It should make good on this. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@JEG wrote:

I agree with the flyer. Southwest changed the flight, and changed its promise. It should make good on this. 

You might want to read the OP again. Southwest didn't change anything.