Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund/change flight policy needs addressed!!

iuhoosier
Explorer C

I have emailed and spoke with Southwest representatives.  They finally gave me an "executives" number.  We have cancelled our spring break trip, like many others due to COVID-19.  I didnt even ask for a refund.  I just wanted to transfer the funds to purchasing tickets for next years spring break in March.  But, the Southwest "executive", states that per their policy, the tickets have to be used within one year of purchase date, which was Jan. 23, 2020.  All I asked was for an approximately 60 day extension and they said NO!  Very, very poor customer service and lack of understanding during an unparalleled time.  

27 REPLIES 27

Re: Refund/change flight policy needs addressed!!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Be patient, policies could change once it becomes clearer how long this situation will last. Southwest is aware this is a big concern. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

At this time Southwest is standing firm with it's policy of travel funds needing to be used within 1 year of original flight booking date. This policy is the same policy all of the other major airlines (Delta, United, American) are using at this time. 

You can always reach out to southwest though one of these methods later on to see if any exceptions can be made: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint  personally I would wait a couple weeks to let some of this hopefully calm down a bit and maybe a policy will change. 

-Blake

dow44
Explorer C

I totally agree that Southwest needs to review their travel fund policy around the use of  travel funds and credit card.  I had a flight that I booked in November 2019 for a trip on March 21st with travel funds of $23.00 that expired on 3/27/20.  The rest of the $414 one-way ticket was paid with a credit card and a $178 travel fund expiring on 5/15/20.  The worst part is when my cruise got canceled, Southwest put all the travel funds associated with the ticket to the earliest expiration date which was 3/27/20.  With all the places being closed, not sure where Southwest thinks everyone is flying to during this time.   I was content to lose the $23.00, but not the rest as that was paid with additional funds that expired later in the year and the other $200 was with a credit card.  I emailed Southwest twice and the same Customer Service rep gave me the "blanket" Southwest answer as this is our travel policy and it cannot change.  I have been an A-List Preferred member for many years and I am truly disappointed in their handling during this unique time.  No one wanted their vacation canceled.  Hilton on the other side has extended all the free night certificates that are set to expire in 2020 to a new expiration through 2021.  Southwest's Customer Service response was that it is better than the other airlines.   I can call on the 3/28/20 and ask for a 6-month extension for the cost of $100.  Southwest seriously needs to address this issue. 

thorny
Explorer A

I experienced the same mis-application (IMHO) of refunds to an early travel fund.  We booked flights earlier this year using an expiring travel fund AND additional funds.  When I rebooked for a later date yesterday the difference in fare was applied to the original travel fund voucher expiration date versus being applied to travel funds with this year's expiration date.  So, instead of receiving travel funds with a 2021 expiration date we now have the March 2020 expiration date.   Geez a software change is certainly needed for this. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We know it's been a tough week, and we appreciate all of you coming here with your concerns. In particular, I want to thank you all for your patience while we worked internally on a new exception to extend the expiration date of some of your travel funds. For the latest information, click here

Nicole
Community Manager

arama80864
Explorer C

States are on lock down for events with groups greater than 10 people and our event has been cancelled yet SWA refuses to refund full payment requiring me to use the $202.95 within one year of purchase date as a credit or pay additional $100 fee to extend the credit for 6 months. I have no idea if or when I will ever need (now ever want) to use SWA again and requested a full refund. This is disappointing to learn how SWA is handling this global pandemic choosing to keep customer money in SWA bank account forcing us to re-purchase with SWA rather than allowing customers to choose the best deal out there whenever we need serivces.

jr13160
Adventurer C

I am having a similar issue. Southwest needs to adjust the policy due to virus outbreak. They will only give it one year from purchase date!  This virus can go on for a year,

I sent a letter to CEO Mr. Kelly and also to VP Marketing that they need to waive expiration dates and let everybody use funds when needed. If we all band together maybe they will listen 
Send a 2 letters to corporate 

Southwest Airlines
2702 Love Field Drive
Dallas, TX 75235

one attention 

Ryan Green
SVP & Chief Marketing Officer

other CEO Gary Kelly

jeremysmithhome
Explorer B

Similar situations all over this board, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.  I just exchanged emails with the USDOT and was directed here:  DOT’s Aviation Consumer Protection Division (ACPD). You may contact the DOT ACPD via telephone at 202-366-2220 or via its web site at http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/escomplaint/es.cfm

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jeremysmithhome Did you bother to read the previous post? Travel fund expiration extended.

--TheMiddleSeat