Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refund due to death?

rpoplin
Adventurer C

We purchased tickets to take my father in law to Mexico. He passed away 2 weeks before we are leaving and I am not sure if we can request a refund for his ticket because of this. 

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Refund due to death!

bec102896
Aviator A

@rpoplin 

First off sorry for your loss.

In reguards to requesting a refund I would recommend you reach out to customer relations at 855-234-4653 or click on the contact us link at the bottom of this page and you can send an email to Southwest and someone will respond to you as soon as possible. 

Hope this helps

Blake

wsjsherry
Explorer C

My husband booked 3 tickets to east coast for my mother-in-law’s 80th birthday celebration in August 2019.

Unfortunately before this trip, he diagnosed the final stage cancer of STS. Therefore my family had to cancel this trip and my husband accept the oncologist’s chemotherapy.

The worst thing is my husband passed away in the end of January 2020. I was wondering if we’re able to have full refund credits from these 3 tickets. Thanks!

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

My condolences on your husband's passing.

You should be able to get a refund on your husband's ticket, but I'm afraid the other two will remain as travel funds.

You should contact SW customer relations via Twitter (@Southwestair), or phone at 1-855-234-4654 to request one.

wsjsherry
Explorer C

Thank you so much for your kindness and respond. I will contact SW customer relations via Twitter (@Southwestair) or phone at 1-855-234-4654 to request one.

Hopefully they won’t give me a hard time due to COVID-19 terrible situation. Have a blessed day! 

Luckyone
Explorer C

I hope you received your money back from SW. My mom paid thru her own credit card and bank closed so probably no refund will be received.

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

My condolences on the death of your father in law.

Yes the airline refunds even non refundable tickets when the ticket holder passes.

I helped afriend get a refund after this happened to her a few years ago.

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

I am sorry to hear about your loss.  Hopefully SWA customer service will make the refund situation easy.  Please keep in mind that wait time may be longer than normal right now.  I do not want that to add to your stress, so call when you have some time to spare, and use speaker phone if you can during the wait.

Re: Refund due to death

rpoplin
Adventurer C

Thank you so much for the replies. I am calling Southwest customer service in a few minutes and feel better about making the call now. 

Re: Refund due to death?

rpoplin
Adventurer C
Solution

I wanted to share my experience with customer service.

When I called and explained the circumstances they immediately refunded my purchase of my deceased father in laws tickets as well as his early bird. The represenative on the line was so nice and understanding on our situation.

Thank you Southwest!