Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refunds/Covid

CUPCAKE
Explorer C

Don't expect any refunds and/or help from Southwest.  They expected you to fly during COVID!!!!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Refunds/Covid

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you cancel a reservation after purchasing a non-refundable fare you get travel funds that can be used for future travel within one year of the original purchase.  If you need full refundability then you should purchase a fare that offers that (Anytime or Business Select).

--TheMiddleSeat

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

I've flown 59 flights so far this year on Southwest. I'm flying to Saudi Arabia in October (not Southwest). People are flying.

You entered into a contract. There was a refundable option.  What makes you special?

gsking
Aviator C

What do you mean?   They totally helped me during Covid.   They kept flying despite losing a ton of money on empty flights. 

Their employees even arguably risked their safety by showing up for work.   But fortunately air travel doesn't seem to contribute measurably to direct Covid transmission. 

So I guess we totally disagree... probably on everything. 

Jmc312901
Explorer C

I had a credit of over $300 that expired the last week of August. I tried to request either a voucher or extension, any options not to loose too much, but they simply stated nope in the email and a bunch of mumbo. 

So, I am assume they aren't working with us anymore? Once they expire, that's it? 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Jmc312901 wrote:

I had a credit of over $300 that expired the last week of August. I tried to request either a voucher or extension, any options not to loose too much, but they simply stated nope in the email and a bunch of mumbo. 

So, I am assume they aren't working with us anymore? Once they expire, that's it? 

Did you request the voucher after the funds had expired? For many years this has been an option with a fee (most currently $100 per fund/person).

There are ongoing changes with Southwest's telephone customer service avenues, so it's possible you just reached an uninformed rep. I'd recommend contacting Customer Relations via social media direct message and make the voucher request.

Good luck.

Contact Customer Relations