Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Refunds/Credits

micqueli
Explorer C

I'm booked for 3 upcoming flights over a 3 week period. The first 2 were paid by card, the 3rd via a family member's transferred Rapid Rewards points. I might need to change all 3 flights to later in the year.

If the later flights are less expensive, how will the 2 different payment methods be credited (card and another person's Rapid Rewards points)?

If by voucher, what date does the expiration of the voucher originate from?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Refunds/Credits

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@micqueli 

If the price of your new flight goes down the difference in fare on the paid tickets will be held as travel funds under the confirmation number for that flight and those funds expire 1 year from when you originally purchased your flight. Those funds can only be used by the passenger(s) on this reservation the funds are non transferable.

If a points ticket goes down when changing your flight the points will go back to the rapid rewards account that purchased the ticket. 

Hope this helps

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@micqueli wrote:

I'm booked for 3 upcoming flights over a 3 week period. The first 2 were paid by card, the 3rd via a family member's transferred Rapid Rewards points. I might need to change all 3 flights to later in the year.

If the later flights are less expensive, how will the 2 different payment methods be credited (card and another person's Rapid Rewards points)?

If by voucher, what date does the expiration of the voucher originate from?

Thank you!

Excess points will go back to the account holder's RR total - hopefully what you actually did was have the family member book your ticket instead of transferring the points which takes a hefty toll. If not, do it that way next time to save the total number of points.

If these are WGA fares, then you'll be issued "Travel Funds" for use up to one year from the original date of purchase. If the fares are refundable then you can receive credit back to original form of payment, except that you can't refund back to a voucher in which case you will also get travel funds.

Hopefully someone else can chime in on expiration dates - I'm not clear myself on how the voucher works - I believe when you book air travel then the voucher is consumed and its history is irrelvant - then if you make future changes that result in a refund or credit you end up with travel funds presumably valid one year from the date that you booked the ticket. I don't think the expiration of the voucher would carry forward after booking, even if you refund a portion to travel funds the clock would start anew.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Excess points will go back to the account holder's RR total - hopefully what you actually did was have the family member book your ticket instead of transferring the points which takes a hefty toll. If not, do it that way next time to save the total number of points.

I didn't catch this in the original post until I went back to re-read after I saw the post from @DancingDavidE (we were replying at the same time!)  Yes, hopefully your family member booked the ticket for you rather than transferring points to your account.  My first reply assumed that they booked on your behalf.

Customer | Home airport DCA

SWDigits
Aviator A

@micqueli wrote:

Credit card purchase:  For the difference in cash fare you will receive travel funds that need to be used (i.e. flights completed) by the original traveler (you) within one year of the original purchase date for the original tickets.

Rapid Rewards points purchase: The difference in points will be credited back to the family member's Rapid Rewards account.

Good problem to have if that's how it turns out for you.  Good luck!

Customer | Home airport DCA