Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Require masks!

New Arrival

I will NOT fly until everyone has to wear masks. This is just irresponsible. Protect your people and your customers! I have flown over 800 flights over 30 years and this is the first time that I don't see SWA with leading thinking. PLEASE PLEASE I need to get back on the road again.

32 REPLIES 32
Highlighted

Re: Require masks!

Rising Star

I would send your suggestion to southwest directly though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake 

Highlighted

New Arrival

With all due respect not everyone can wear a mask. You command as if the aircraft is your private plane. You are not the sole passenger and therefore you have no right to command or demand anything.  It’s not all about you. Surprise.  

Highlighted

Top Contributor

I suspect masks will be required at some point. As to why they are not yet, you'd have to direct that question to Southwest. (See the Contact Us info below.)

Highlighted

New Arrival

I totally agree.  JetBlue is requiring all passengers to wear face coverings starting next week.  All airlines should do this.  

Highlighted

Rising Star
Solution

Southwest will start requiring customers to use masks on 5/11.  More here: Southwest Promise.

-A List Preferred, Companion Pass holder, Community Champion.
Highlighted

New Arrival

On flight now! No mask required! 
passenger said, “no” 

and here she sits coughing. 

Highlighted

New Arrival

I totally agree that both the airline crew and the passengers must wear masks. I've flown only Southwest my entire life and would like to continue doing so but until your airline requires masks be worn by all, I'll have to switch to an airline, such as Jet Blue or the others that have announced the mask requirements.    I am pleased with the efforts you have made with cleaning and boarding but no where have I seen that you are requiring everyone to wear a mask such as we must for grocery stores, outdoor activities.   I strongly encourage Southwest to take the next step in safety.

Highlighted

Top Contributor

@DrTapperMargie wrote:

Did you bother to read the post immediately above yours in this thread?

Highlighted

New Arrival

Dr.TapperMargie "TOP CONTRIBUTOR":

With all due respect, if you read the posted SOUTHWEST PROMISE on the official SOUTHWEST WEBSITE and if you read CEO "GARY's" email blast, there is NO mention

of a mask requirement.  

Please do not participate in spreading "fake news".

That said, tonight on Wolf Blitzer CNN (real news), Wolf announced that major airlines are following JETBLUE's lead. TODAY, ALASKA, FRONTIER, DELTA, and YES - SOUTHWEST, according to CNN, all announced masks are a requirement to fly as of tomorrow morning.

To "GARY's" discredit, as of 8:18 pm Saturday May 5th, he has not yet updated the official SOUTHWEST WEBSITE -SOUTHWEST PROMISE. Nor has he blasted out an UPDATE email to indicate the change in policy.  I have not received one. Stockholders should hold this "CEO without a last name" accountable for feeble leadership when the stock price is down 50%.

I am certainly for opening sections of the economy where PERFECT HYGIENE or at least EFFECTIVE HYGIENE can be taught and effected. We do not need two total disasters in 2020/2021.

However, reopening flights and sections of the economy in geographic locations which are not mega-densely populated, requires careful education regarding hygiene.

Asymptomatic COVID positive (+)  travelers will cough on planes and their vapor will be more laden with virus and travel at higher velocity. There is no direct evidence yet as too how much viral load you have to inhale to become infected. However, the CDC recommends contact tracing for contact periods of greater than 15 minutes. Masks stop the velocity of vapor and trap 90% of the vapor. Airplane air filtration systems after take off  are hospital like dependable. They will take care of the rest. Masks are a "no brainer". You nor I want the airlines shut down again.

Instead of being contrarian, be supportive. We have the same goal.

If "Gary" does not update the website and blast emails, passengers won't know.  SWA best be prepared to hand out bandanas or masks at the gangway.  Some masks will break. Otherwise the gate personnel will be turning away angry passengers.  Better yet, Everybody bring an extra mask or bandana for the next guy. Then wash it. That's all it takes.