Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Require masks!

Djhorvath
Explorer C

Flight 1562 DEN > IND 

5/8/2020

Flight attendants walking aisles without masks.  

Your policy stated that all customer facing employees would be wearing masks effective this week.   2nd flight this week where this wasn't observed.   

I expect SW to uphold their commitment to passenger safety.    

Unacceptable. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Djhorvath wrote:

Flight 1562 DEN > IND 

5/8/2020

Flight attendants walking aisles without masks.  

Your policy stated that all customer facing employees would be wearing masks effective this week.   2nd flight this week where this wasn't observed.   

I expect SW to uphold their commitment to passenger safety.    

Unacceptable. 

The rule is effective tomorrow - May 11.

Djhorvath
Explorer C

Flight attendants were required to wear masks as of 5/6/2020 according to their official statement as well as a response I received directly from SW.    Passengers starting today. 

Explorer C

Absolutely disagree. I will NOT fly as long as I am required to wear a mask. I refuse to perpetuate fear, and this whole mask thing is part of not only maintaining fear, but of creating a FALSE sense of security. You want to mask up, fine, but don't force your fears on me.

billowen99
Explorer C

I will not fly Southwest until they allow exemptions like other airlines do. I have a medical condition that prevents me from wearing a mask. HIPPA privacy laws do not require me to reveal or even prove that condition. Airlines MUST acknowledge this! I'm an A-Lister and fly weekly. SW will lost a lot of business from me and my company.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@billowen99 wrote:

I will not fly Southwest until they allow exemptions like other airlines do. I have a medical condition that prevents me from wearing a mask. HIPPA privacy laws do not require me to reveal or even prove that condition. Airlines MUST acknowledge this! I'm an A-Lister and fly weekly. SW will lost a lot of business from me and my company.

Hi @billowen99. We do not require those with a medical condition to wear a mask. For additional information, visit: Do I need to wear a mask during travel? 

Thanks!

Nicole
Community Manager

naturextreme
Explorer B

So it seems like this process is highly detailed for getting the exemption. Asking highly personal medical questions, and for a doctors note. I'm not someone that likes to bother my doctor with every little thing, and should just be able to request based off of having a medical condition that makes mask wearing undoable. So in all, I have to fill out a form with personal medical information, ask a doctor for a mask pass, wait 10 to 30 days for a response according to an email I received on this question, and hope that it all works out in time for my flight. Feels like a lot of hoops to go through just to choose not to wear a mask because of ones medical condition. I think this should be changed to not require so much. 

Mersyone
Explorer C

Am I screwed? Im about to fly with my two year old son on May 30 and just found out they are requiring masks. I can wear a mask but my two year... not gonna happen even if I try and force him. Some background context - my whole household had Corona in mid-march and we’ve even verified that we have antibodies so were a little less concerned than other folks.  But still, am I screwed?

more context - im sending my son with his grandma for at least 1 month while my wife and I have to work and there is still no plans for daycare to reopen (which may be a looong time).

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

@Mersyone wrote:

Am I screwed? Im about to fly with my two year old son on May 30 and just found out they are requiring masks. I can wear a mask but my two year... not gonna happen even if I try and force him. Some background context - my whole household had Corona in mid-march and we’ve even verified that we have antibodies so were a little less concerned than other folks.  But still, am I screwed?

more context - im sending my son with his grandma for at least 1 month while my wife and I have to work and there is still no plans for daycare to reopen (which may be a looong time).

No you are not screwed.

From the SW faq about masks

Will children be required to wear face coverings 

Young children who may not be able to keep a face covering on will be exempt. "

Require masks!

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

If I'm correct, SW addresses that younger aged children aren't required to wear masks.  My suggestion would be to place them in the window seat to avoid people walking by or other children who board and are also not wearing masks.