Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Reservation acceptance windo

kphitchcock
Explorer C

Huge lover of Southwest, its culture, operating philosophy, and the customer experience.  Am wondering...does anyone ever want to book a flight more than six months out?  Unfortunately, the reservation system doesn't allow one to go out farther than that.  I would think the system could be programmed to go out longer.  in the old days, airlines would post their flight schedules in a booklet.  Are the actual route schedules not out there more than six months?  I wouldn't think so.  Any insight/thought/info would are appreciated.  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Reservation acceptance windo

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@kphitchcock wrote:

Huge lover of Southwest, its culture, operating philosophy, and the customer experience.  Am wondering...does anyone ever want to book a flight more than six months out?  Unfortunately, the reservation system doesn't allow one to go out farther than that.  I would think the system could be programmed to go out longer.  in the old days, airlines would post their flight schedules in a booklet.  Are the actual route schedules not out there more than six months?  I wouldn't think so.  Any insight/thought/info would are appreciated.  

I'm sure the airline knows roughly what they'll be doing during that time, but Southwest's approach is a little more flexible than other airlines where they have relatively less reliance on hub airports and the routes may change to adapt to current needs.

I'd be interested to hear other financial motivations for not letting people book earlier, it seems counterintuitive from a revenue standpoint but there must be some flexibility gained that is used at times or else they would offer longer booking.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: Reservation acceptance windo

bec102896
Aviator A

My thinking on why they don't release the schedule so far out has to do with the amount of changes they may have to make for example delta and the others have the schedule out a year in advance but I have noticed they have a lot of schedule changes so you book a 1pm flight it may end up being noon or 2pm which I think the airports and the FAA have to do with those changes but I am not sure but I would be interested to know why only 6 months out