Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Reservation cancellation without notice

Sundissima
Explorer C

I have booked my flight from RNO to LAX ahead of time for January next year. I was able to get a pretty good price for it and was all set. However, just a few hours ago, I received an email from southwest stating that my flight was cancelled. 

I was surprised because I never cancelled that flight. When I tried to rebook the very same flight, it was already higher in price and I do not want to spend more money than what i originally paid for. Has this thing ever happened to anyone? Is there a way that they will restore my original reservation as It was never my doing why my flight was cancelled in the first place. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Reservation cancellation without notice

franktravel
Aviator B

This could be the reason.

"Prohibition on Multiple/Conflicting Reservations. To promote seat availability for our Customers, Southwest prohibits multiple reservations for the same Passenger departing from the same city on the same date, or any multiple reservations containing conflicting or overlapping itineraries (such as departures for the same Customer from multiple cities at the same time).

"Furthermore, without advance notice to the Passenger or purchaser, Southwest may cancel such reservations, or any other reservations that it believes, in its sole discretion, were made without intent to travel. With the exception of Southwest® gift cards, funds from proactively canceled reservations by Southwest will be returned to the original form of payment. Reservations paid for with a Southwest® gift card will have the amount applied from the Southwest gift card held as travel funds for use by the Customer on a future Southwest Airlines flight."

"Limitation of Liability. Carrier is not liable for any type of special, incidental or consequential damages when it cancels the reservations of any Passenger pursuant to Section 2a(2); however, the fare paid for the unused portions of travel that are canceled by Carrier may be refunded or applied toward the purchase of future travel in accordance with the applicable fare rules and Section 9."

Re: Reservation cancellation without notice

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If the reservation was cancelled because of a multiple flight conflict, people have reported being able to reinstate the cancelled reservation by calling and requesting the reservation be restored. Give Southwest a call and they should be able to provide explanation and hopefully reinstate the reservation. Report back what you find out.