Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Residual Travel Funds

jackiereed6
Explorer C

Could you rebook your flight with residual travel funds and instead of cancelling it, just change the flight and pay fare differences for the dates needed?   Ex: I have to rebook my flight before 8/22/18, but I need to fly 8/24/18-8/26/18. If I book a flight that is before 8/22, can I then change my flight to the later dates and pay the fare difference? Not cancel it, but just change it. Will they say I can't because the funds expire, even thought I booked the dates to fly before it expired? I just hate that the funds would expire literally days before I need to use them. I don't fly much, so it's a shame. From what I have seen on here, SW doesn't seem to budge on extending, also, paying $100 to extend would literally defeat the purpose of extending since that's more than half the cost of the flight cost.   (Hopefully that made sense?) 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Residual Travel Funds

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@jackiereed6

WIth travel funds your travel must be complete by the expiration date not just booked by the expiration date.

ex. Funds expire 8/22/18 you want to travel 8/21-8/24 you would need to book a one way to use the funds on the 8/21 travel if you want to travel 8/24-8/26 you would have to pay In full or you can call customer relations to see about the voucher for a $100 fee which could change or may not be offered and you have to wait until the funds expire and it can take a couple weeks to get the voucher so you probably wouldn't have the voucher in time to book a 2 day later trip plus cost would be high anyways.  

I would suggest taking a trip before the expiration date so you don't lose the funds maybe a weekend get away to relax.

hope this helps

Blake 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

@jackiereed6

Isn't this the exact question you asked previously and received several answers to in the thread linked below? Do you have new questions? 

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/General-Travel-Policies/Cancellation/m-p/58478/highlight/tr...

--TheMiddleSeat

jackiereed6
Explorer C

I didn't see that I got responses on there. Thanks for pointing that out! I'm new to this so I wasn't sure I did it correctly. Sorry if I offended you in some way 🙂 I don't troll these daily or anything.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Not offended, just wanted to make sure you saw the good answers you already got. I was just confused as to why you were asking again. If you have further questions please post again. 

--TheMiddleSeat

jackiereed6
Explorer C

They were very good and helpful! If you know a way I can delete this one since it's a waste of space, I'll be happy to! Thank you 

As you can see, I'm a "New Arrival" 🙂

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

@jackiereed6,

No worries.  We were all new arrivals once too.  Welcome aboard. 

@TheMiddleSeatis a nice guy -- the proof is that he chooses the middle seat, then others can sit with family and friends.  His post wasn't meant to appear impatient, and as he said - just checking if new info needed. 

A good way to check if you have a response to previous threads that you have posted is to click on your name in the upper right corner and it should give you "Topics I Have Participated In" or adding a "message tag" that lets you use the Search Function.  I believe only the moderator can delete a post.

jackiereed6
Explorer C

Oh for sure. I’m terrible at these things and didn’t want to make anyone mad. Thank you so much for the guide on the notifications! When he tagged that link I got to see all the replies to my other post. Super helpful! I thought I would get email alerts like I do now in this thread, but I wasn’t getting them before. Thanks for the advice you all! Have a great night 🙂

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@jackiereed6

No worries, I don't believe you made anyone mad. 🙂 I'm going to leave this here because it has some good guidance from @CarefromNOLA about how to check your activity history. Other people might find that helpful in the future. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@jackiereed6 wrote:

They were very good and helpful! If you know a way I can delete this one since it's a waste of space, I'll be happy to! Thank you 

As you can see, I'm a "New Arrival" 🙂

Mark it solved and that might discourage future posts, I don't know if there may be a moderator function to close a thread to additional posts, I don't believe us users can do that. (@Lindsey)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.