Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SDF to PHX Nonstop

dauxier
Explorer B

For the better part of the last five plus years. My wife and I have enjoyed Southwest's nonstop daily flights to and from Louisville, KY/Phoenix, AZ. Now all of a sudden we find out that in 2019 Southwest will no longer offer nonstop service between the two cities. They will now only offer weekly nonstop service. I find it hard to understand that the change is due to a lack of passengers. Most of all the flights we have flown seemed to be totally full or very close to it. So now instead of driving a little less than an hour to Louisville. We will have to drive a little over two hours to Indianapolis if we want a daily nonstop flight to Phoenix or back. At the very least, I would just like to know why Southwest chose to make the change.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: SDF to PHX Nonstop

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dauxier wrote:

For the better part of the last five plus years. My wife and I have enjoyed Southwest's nonstop daily flights to and from Louisville, KY/Phoenix, AZ. Now all of a sudden we find out that in 2019 Southwest will no longer offer nonstop service between the two cities. They will now only offer weekly nonstop service. I find it hard to understand that the change is due to a lack of passengers. Most of all the flights we have flown seemed to be totally full or very close to it. So now instead of driving a little less than an hour to Louisville. We will have to drive a little over two hours to Indianapolis if we want a daily nonstop flight to Phoenix or back. At the very least, I would just like to know why Southwest chose to make the change.

I doubt that anyone would be able to respond officially with any specifics other than "changing needs and priorities" or an equivalent answer. 

Even though the planes you were on were full, I don't know if that route was a "through" route where some of the passengers may have been connecting instead of making the same trip that you did.

As the competition changes their service, Southwest will always be changing theirs where either a route becomes less profitable than some other use of the aircraft and crew, or who knows.

Hopefully there was some other direct service from SDF that was desirable for the locals there, and I hope you are still able to use the direct flights from Indianapolis instead. Sometimes it is well over an hour for me to get to Midway airport to fly Southwest as well - and I live in Chicago!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: SDF to PHX Nonstop

bec102896
Aviator A

@dauxier

Schedule changes are no fun but unfortunately when the airline adds new routes they have to take away routes as well since they don't have an unlimited number of planes and crews as well as gates at airports. The good news is they do have Saturday non stops and Sunday 1 stop no plane change during the winter from what I see on the website from SDF to PHX. 

After doing ting some research it looks like your daily non stops will return on March 7th which tells me that maybe they took the non stop away during the winter because it may not be popular during that time of year. Now with the next schedule release I'm not sure if the non stops will remain like they are in March but the best thing to do is let Southwest know how much you would like that route by emailing them from the contact us link at the bottom of the Southwest home page or you can message Southwest on Facebook or Twitter. 

Hope the future schedules will work for you! 

Blake