Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SHAME ON SOUTHWEST - 40 YEARS FLYING WITH YOU AND DISAPPOINTED

futuresense
Explorer C

I have flown for 40+ years with Southwest and have admired your resilience, your caring and your willingness to change.  My sister (71 and a retired first responder (still working as a paramedic even in retirement)) booked a flight to attend an event in which she was being honored by her university as one of the original female student athletes in the late 1960's.  The event was cancelled due to COVID-19.  She cannot get her money back ($121) due to your policies.   She NEVER travels... the event will not be rescheduled.... and she needs the money.  I get the "non-cancellable" concept in normal times, but this was OUT OF HER CONTROL.  

Are you really going to jeopardize your relationship with me, an A-List Preferred, Companion-Pass traveler for the past 10 years, over $121?  Much like you changed your "interim" boarding process (after the cards given to you at the airport and before the current system) due to customer feedback, perhaps you might listen to the voice of the customer who says you NEED TO BE MORE FLEXIBLE with your policies in the face of this pandemic.   

Wake up Southwest.  Do me proud and show me that you can change.   

10 REPLIES 10

Re: SHAME ON SOUTHWEST - 40 YEARS FLYING WITH YOU AND DISAPPOINTED

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry your disappointed. At this time NO AIRLINE is issuing refunds for non refundable tickets. All the other airlines are matching Southwest's policy of no change/cancellation fee and those funds are good for a year from the original purchase date. 

If you would like Southwest to look in to your case specifically you can reach out though one of these methods: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake

JohnnyQ
Explorer C

Blake,

While NO AIRLINE is issuing refunds for non-refundable tickets, they are allowing free change of travel plans that are good 12 months FROM DATE OF TRAVEL, NOT DATE OF BOOKING. Your reply to "shame on southwest" has pissed off a lot of people, me included. Do the right thing Southwest..consider refunds for ALL tickets or, at the very least, change of travel that is good from 12 month of the original TRAVEL date, not booking date. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@JohnnyQ wrote:

Blake,

While NO AIRLINE is issuing refunds for non-refundable tickets, they are allowing free change of travel plans that are good 12 months FROM DATE OF TRAVEL, NOT DATE OF BOOKING. 

I've tried real hard to find information about that change, and have not done so.

Please provide a link so that I may read about it.

JohnnyQ
Explorer C

Check the British Airways site

dfwskier
Aviator A

@JohnnyQ wrote:

Anything from a North American carrier?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@JohnnyQ wrote:

Anything from a North American carrier?

Things are constantly changing, but my understanding at the moment is that JetBlue begins the one-year countdown at cancellation, all other carriers base it on date of original purchase, as Southwest does.

https://www.jetblue.com/travel-alerts 

SWDigits
Aviator A

@JohnnyQ wrote:

Your reply to "shame on southwest" has pissed off a lot of people, me included.

Everyone in this thread is a customer, I think I can say in good conscience the folks that are frequent posters here are trying to help.

Customer | Home airport DCA

bec102896
Aviator A

@JohnnyQ wrote:

Your reply to "shame on southwest" has pissed off a lot of people, me included. 

I'm sorry if my response pissed you off. I'm just another customer like you.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@JohnnyQ wrote:

Blake,

While NO AIRLINE is issuing refunds for non-refundable tickets, they are allowing free change of travel plans that are good 12 months FROM DATE OF TRAVEL, NOT DATE OF BOOKING. Your reply to "shame on southwest" has pissed off a lot of people, me included. Do the right thing Southwest..consider refunds for ALL tickets or, at the very least, change of travel that is good from 12 month of the original TRAVEL date, not booking date. 

JetBlue is the only carrier doing anything close to what you mentioned, and it is actually 12 months from the date of cancellation, not travel. All other carriers, including Southwest, begin the 12-month counter at the date of original purchase.

Things are constantly changing however so the best advice is to keep checking.