Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SO Disappointed in SWA

nancywl
Explorer C

Wish I had a good story to tell-I bought tickets for my kids and I but the trip was canceled due to Covid. I asked Southwest if they could change the tickets back to my name so I could use them (my kids aren't flying with me for a long time...if ever) and was told no. Cmon southwest! how disappointing! I'm not asking for my money back--this is COVID.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: SO Disappointed in SWA

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If Southwest cancelled your flight you can get a refund back to the original form of payment.  If you cancelled your non-refundable ticket funds are held in the name of the passenger(s) that was booked.  If you want/need more flexibility I'd suggest you purchase refundable fares.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@nancywl wrote:

. Cmon man -- when you bought the tickets, you agreed to those terms

jksobonya
Aviator A

@nancywl wrote:

Wish I had a good story to tell-I bought tickets for my kids and I but the trip was canceled due to Covid. I asked Southwest if they could change the tickets back to my name so I could use them (my kids aren't flying with me for a long time...if ever) and was told no. Cmon southwest! how disappointing! I'm not asking for my money back--this is COVID.

Not much that can be done, I'm afraid. It sounds like you cancelled the tickets yourself, and in the case the ticket travel funds are valid for the person(s) named on the ticket.

And IMO, "this is COVID" is becoming less of an excuse. You can fly if you want to. I flew in the summer and fall of 2020 and I've flown this year, and I'll fly again. Many people have. Why aren't your kids flying with you? You were going to take a trip either last year or this year with them - there's no reason you can't keep those plans. 

--Jessica

jacksycz
Explorer C

Ok. FAA was pretty clear that the airline would have to issue refunds, not credits for cancelled flights due to the pandemic. You can write to the FAA or corporate office and complain, citing the clarification rule that came out on April 3, 2020: Enforcement Notice Final April 3 2020_0.pdf (transportation.gov)

gsking
Aviator C

Stop reposting the same ignorance.   It doesn't make it more correct.   On the contrary...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jacksycz Clearly there's quite a bit you misunderstand about what you posted. First, the FAA had nothing to do with the advisory, it comes from the Department of Transportation. Second, it only applies to situations when the airline cancels the flight and does not issue a refund.

If you don't understand something please ask for help before posting. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Douglasd
Explorer C

Very disappointed in SWA and will no longer be using them. My mom is a senior citizen and she hasn’t traveled due to COVID. Her travel funds expire on Sept 19, 2020.

SWA will only extend travel funds because of COVID if they expire by Sept 7, 2020. That’s a 12 day difference...

I very politely requested an extension, at least a partial refund, or the option to transfer it to my sister. They refused to do anything but offer platitudes. So I’m out hundreds of dollars and they don’t care at all.

I’ve worked in customer service and there’s always something that can be done if you actually care about your customers. I’m just letting everyone know - they do not care at all. Be careful purchasing SWA tickets. I will no longer be doing so.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Douglasd wrote:

I’ve worked in customer service and there’s always something that can be done if you actually care about your customers. I’m just letting everyone know - they do not care at all. Be careful purchasing SWA tickets. I will no longer be doing so.

Sorry to hear about your mother.

Southwest had a special program that provided extensions for people whose funds were to expired between March 1 and September 9 of 2020. It did not have to do that.

COVID likely affected travel plans for millions of other Southwest customers -- not just your mother. So should the airline make exceptions to the special program for millions of people or just your mother. If just your mother - why? What makes her more special than the millions of others?