Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SW cancelled my flight a week ago - no refund, no info

Needavacation
Explorer C

Given the chaos of the Covid situation, I was patient & didn't do anything with my upcoming May flights.  Figuring I had time, I checked my account every few days. Last Tuesday, I noticed they had cancelled my reservation - a pop-up error when I click on it appears. Nothing else. No e-mail notice from them, no message in my account. No travel funds, etc. There is the option for me to "change/cancel" as if the system isn't aligned with individual accounts.

It's been seven days, and still nothing. I spent quite awhile searching SW website for info on how to get a full refund, and didn't see a thing. I've e-mailed customer service, but am very disappointed in SW.  This isn't what I expect from them at all. 

Anyone have any clues about getting the refund? 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: SW cancelled my flight a week ago - no refund, no info

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

Send them a message on Twitter. They are quite responsive.

Cor47
Explorer A
Solution

My flights were cancelled and re-scheduled.

yesterday I sent Southwest a message via their Facebook account.

very prompt reply, had my FULL refund within 30 minutes.

received emails confirming refunds and amounts

could take up to 30 days to show up on credit card account.

good luck.  

caityspaghetti
Explorer B

Were your fares Wanna Get Away? Same thing happened to me and I'm wondering if they will only offer a credit or if I can get a cash refund.

Cor47
Explorer A

My flights when booked was the lowest fares, assuming they were the wanna fares.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Cor47 wrote:

My flights when booked was the lowest fares, assuming they were the wanna fares.  

If Southwest cancels a flight, EVERYONE on the flight is eligible for a refund - regardless of fare type.

SWDigits
Aviator A

@caityspaghetti wrote:

Were your fares Wanna Get Away? Same thing happened to me and I'm wondering if they will only offer a credit or if I can get a cash refund.

@caityspaghetti if Southwest cancels the flight then you are entitled to a cash refund but they will make you contact them to get it.  Fare type is irrelevant.  Twitter & Facebook reportedly get the fastest response times to make the refund request, click the "Contact Us" link for options and use private messaging before you share any reservation detail.  They will offer you other options but decline and insist on the refund.

If you cancel you won't have the option for the cash refund.

Customer | Home airport DCA

Cor47
Explorer A

UPDATE:

my full refund hit my credit card account today.   Thanks Southwest and the customer service rep , she was fantastic.   

good luck everyone. 

Marcoreesun
Explorer C

They did the same thing with me. It has been a total nightmare. I just got off the phone with them again. According to DOT if the airline cancels your flight they owe you a full refund if you do not accept the alternative they will offer. They must refund you all fees and add ons like early birds. 

Once I called them ( a few minutes ago) and told them they were in violation of DOT consumer protections and demanded a refund they issued it. 

What seems to be out of spite or just poor cash hoarding processes they are telling me I won’t get my refund for 90 days. 

Should the airlines take more than 20 days to file a refund back to a credit card they are in violation of DOT consumer protections. I can tell you it is very quick and easy to file a complaint with DOT regarding violations at their website.

gsking
Aviator C

Unfortunately, you have to call them.  They don't seem to offer the same automatic notification as they do with rescheduled flights.

I had to do this with one of my Hawaii flights and they were very polite.

Curiously, another one I planned in June only had the outbound leg cancelled, so I had to look even closer to see the issue.  I haven't called them yet, but we'll try to reschedule to a flight that's remaining from another airport.  The return flight... Yep, still to the same airport.  Crazy.

But these are crazy times.  Best thing I can do right now is use my travel funds to shore up contingency flights.  That's the best part about SWA.... They let me make my plans as flexible as possible since neither they nor I can really predict what's gonna happen.