Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: SWA booking full flights

dfwskier
Aviator A

@swa-suck-it wrote:

Hey Top Contributor,

Who are you to throw “facts” with no references, and insult someone for expressing an opinion?

Oh, I provided references. Did you do as I suggested, or not.

search for: us airline employees report lower Covid-19 infection than public

If you were too lazy to do the search, let me take your hand you and lead you directly to the links:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/risk-covid-19-exposure-planes-virtually-nonexistent-masked/story?id=...

https://www.wbal.com/article/479804/113/us-airline-employees-report-lower-rate-of-covid-19-infection...

SergioK
Explorer B

Dear dfwkler:

FA get infected at a lower rate than the general public although they spend more time in a confined space in close contact with random strangers, some not wearing face masks. FA are younger, more physically fit and take better care of their hygiene than the general public. That would explain the observation, right? There might be many other factors at play: women less prone to infection than the general public (50% men), FA don't test as much as the general public, or they have milder symptoms.

The alternative, that airplane cabins are safer towards infection than the world at large seems farfetched, do you agree?

It is difficult to extract any other conclusion from the observation about FA not getting infected. If you are interested we can look more carefully at the data, for example in sources other than  USA Today. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SergioK wrote:

Dear dfwkler:

FA get infected at a lower rate than the general public although they spend more time in a confined space in close contact with random strangers, some not wearing face masks. FA are younger, more physically fit and take better care of their hygiene than the general public.  

It is difficult to extract any other conclusion from the observation about FA not getting infected. If you are interested we can look more carefully at the data, for example in sources other than  USA Today. 

I) my source was not U S A Today. It was the US Department of Defense. I posted the links earlier in the thread.

2)

As far as F A s being younger and healthier than the general public,  all I can say is I’ve seen plenty of FAs in their 30s 40s  50s and 60s. Maybe even some in their 70s. Don’t know for sure and it would have been rude to ask.

gsking
Aviator C

Wait, there's another airline out there cheaper than SWA?  Please let me know which one. 

Cydkjones
Explorer B

yes there are. The airline is called peace of mind. 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Cydkjones Your lack of ability to read seems to make some of us question your entire post.  You call someone a troll because they are not an expert and that their opinion isn't merited?  Dude, this is a "Customer or Interested Party Discussion forum," not the CDC or SWA employee relations link.  You have an opinion and you stated it.  Others stated their opinion and have a right to do so.  That's my opinion and I'm not an epidemiologist or an SWA employee, so I'm a troll too, and proud of it.  Have a wonderful evening.

Dougherty223
Explorer C
@Cydkjones UPSers wrote:

With a new more contagious variant of COVID-19, I’m disappointed that SWA chose profits over people. Just like most ready air ants must operate at less than full capacity, SWA’s changed policy before everyone is able to get a vaccine is truly disappointing.  The response was “Delta is the only airline still leaving the middle seat open” does southwest lead the industry or just do what everyone else does?

I was loyal to a fault because I did think SWA cared about their customers, now I’m certain they don’t and I’ll go with the cheapest price from here on in. If you only care about your money, I’ll only care about my money.

Flight Attendants are being infected at a LOWER rate than the general  public These people spend their work lives on these "dangerous" planes and yet their infection rate is lower.

SergioK
Explorer B

Dear Dougherty,

FA are infected at a lower rate than the general public although they spend more time in a confined space in close proximity to random strangers. One conclusion could be that flight attendants are younger and in better physical shape than the general public, right? The alternative is that airplanes are less dangerous planes for infections than the world at large, which seems farfetched. Would you agree?

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@Cydkjones We're sorry for your disappointment we are no longer limiting onboard capacity. We continue to evaluate our policies and procedures based on public health guidance and advice from medical and aviation organizations. With the Southwest Promise, we’re committed to supporting the well-being of our Employees and Customers by requiring face coverings; using HEPA air filters onboard (similar to the technology found in hospitals); and applying both an electrostatic disinfectant and an antimicrobial spray on every surface of the aircraft, killing viruses on contact and forming anti-microbial coating that lasts for 30 days. 

While elements of our experience have changed and will continue to evolve, we are committed to delivering the same Southwest Hospitality that you know and expect. 

Sincerely,

Nicole
Community Manager

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

We appreciate everyone here sharing their opinions. As this thread has become heated, I'm dropping in a friendly reminder that everyone on the Community is expected to follow the Golden Rule. We welcome all Community Members to engage with the content we find here, as long as it is respectful and on-topic, and we encourage everyone to refresh themselves on our Community User Guidelines 

Additionally, the Community is a peer-to-peer support forum. If you have concerns regarding a specific travel experience with Southwest or would like to submit a suggestion, you will need to Contact Customer Relations

@Cydkjones
@dfwskier
@PetertheProphet
@swa-suck-it
@gsking
@SWFlyer007
@Dougherty223

Respectfully,

Nicole
Community Manager