Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SWA is waiting to last minute to cancel many, if not most, flights - yet won't refund money

Donlee11
Explorer B

SWA, the leader in abusing its customers and hypocritical advertising about how it cares, is cancelling many, if not most, flights.   At the same time our travel funds are kept hostage while the economy grinds to a halt and Southwest petitions congress for a bailout.  

According to flightaware.com southwest has cancelled over 1900 flights today.   

The policy of not refunding airfare but only granting credit towards future travel -- in effect keeping customers money -- in this time of health and economic crises is gob-smacking in its arrogance.

Southwest -- this has to be changed and changed now.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: SWA is waiting to last minute to cancel many, if not most, flights - yet won't refund money

dfwskier
Aviator A

You are complaining the Southwest is cancelling flights -- and yet by doing so it provides passengers the opportunity to get refunds -------------------

still unhappy??????????????????????/

Re: SWA is waiting to last minute to cancel many, if not most, flights - yet won't refund money

Donlee11
Explorer B

Your not following.  They are refusing to refund airfare when the customer cancels because the government tells us to cancel -- and then after that happens SWA is cancelling the flights at the last minute.  The point is that these are not normal times, airline activity is disrupted by the health crisis, and airfare should be refunded.   Normal policies should not apply.    

dfwskier
Aviator A

The government DID NOT tell you to cancel.

I challenge you to provide proof that statement is incorrect.

For weeks I've been telling people to NOT CANCEL until the last minute. Now you see why.

Donlee11
Explorer B

You are asking for proof on government advice not to travel?   The government order is "Stay home."    

Further, the purpose of the travel was a business meeting of 20+ participants. That meeting has been prohibited by government action (and common sense.)    If I didn't cancel I would have lost the funds with nothing.  SWA is cancelling many flights at departure time.   

I remain under a "shelter in place" order.    Airlines should be doing their part and not punishing people.  These are extraordinary times. 

apm
Adventurer C

SW DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL SITUATIONS! You are just a # to them and a source of income. They will not add the human side to their policies and make any exceptions. They have changed LUV into HATE. Once you use your credit funds, then make a promise to never fly them again, spread the word, there are petitions with over 3500 signatures asking for refunds for any paid ticket (Change.org). Look for an law office to help start a class action suit. All unhappy customers can ban together. Let's bring bad press to SW. They will not listen to your plea or sob story. Their officers are just interested in vetting their stock options. They just do not give a dam about anything but their bottom line. They hide behind their positions and layers of management and policies. SHAME ON SW.

gsking
Aviator C

I think you're picking the wrong forum to post these sorts of rants.  I'd say most of the people here are fairly supportive of Southwest in this situation. 

Oh, and reposting the same rant twice... Yea , that really doesn't help your cause. 

apm
Adventurer C

SW DOES NOT CARE ABOUT ANY OF YOUR PERSONAL SITUATIONS! You are just a # to them and a source of income. They will not add the human side to their policies and make any exceptions. They have changed LUV into HATE. Once you use your credit funds, then make a promise to never fly them again, spread the word, there are petitions with over 3500 signatures asking for refunds for any paid ticket (Change.org). Look for an law office to help start a class action suit. All unhappy customers can ban together. Let's bring bad press to SW. They will not listen to your plea or sob story. Their officers are just interested in vetting their stock options. They just do not give a dam about anything but their bottom line. They hide behind their positions and layers of management and policies. SHAME ON SW.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Southwest cancelled my flight 5 days in advance. A simple message later, and my money was refunded. 

If you cancel a WGA fare, you get credit. If they cancel, you get a refund. They are playing by the rules. You are trying to not play by the rules. The world is fair. Shame on you!

Suebedoo85
Explorer B

I'm not fussed up about it, but I just had Southwest tell me the other day that my WGA fare was cancelled by them due to scheduling issues (May 15 PDX -->ONT) - here is the text verbatim:

(I suppose that if I wanted to get my actual $'s back, they wouldn't put up too much of a fight?)

We want to make you aware that your upcoming flight (Confirmation #XXXXXX) has been affected by changes we made to our schedule. As a result, we were unable to rebook you on a similar flight within three days of your original departure date. Therefore, your payment has been turned into reusable travel funds. We’re sorry your plans were impacted by our changes.

If you're ready to rebook, we encourage you and any of the original Passengers on the reservation to visit Southwest.com to rebook your travel using your travel funds. If your new itinerary costs more than the funds you have available from your previous reservation, we're happy to cover the price difference as long as:

Your new trip occurs within 60 days of your original travel.

Your origin and destination airports are the same (i.e., the same trip).

If you would like to pursue this option after you've confirmed online that your new itinerary costs more than the original, call 1-800-I-FLY-SWA (1-800-435-9792).

If you're unsure about your future travel plans
If you’d like to wait to rebook, rest assured the funds used to pay for this trip will be available to the Customer(s) named on the ticket(s) to use and fly by June 30, 2021.

Once you're ready to use your funds, simply use XXXXXX to access these funds in the future (similar to "store credit" at most retail establishments*).