Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Safe (UNSAFE) flying during COVID pandemic

soccermansw
Explorer C

My gosh, wear a mask if you want to wear a mask and dont wear one if you dont!  Its a personal choice.  And if you choose to wear a mask for the love of God wear an N95 that hasnt been used before and that properly fits your face; otherwise its theater.  We all know this.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'd love to tag this pretty much the answer to the debate!!  Good job.  Shields can still help, self-identification, good solutions.  And I would still add that others on the plane just be direct to somebody about sitting by them.  

TimBarrios
Explorer C

I had a very similar experience on a flight last Sunday. I will also not fly again until more is done to enforce these rules. In my case, the flight attendants didn't even say anything to remind passengers that "Face coverings required," as Southwest advertises on their various social media sources.

TimBarrios_0-1593632348475.png

I've fought my huge corporate employers for many year who prefer other airlines for my very frequent business travel to let me support Southwest due to their normally stellar customer service, and I especially want to support Southwest at this time but it's just not safe until they can find some way to enforce their own "Promise" and the recommendations of the CDC.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Have I missed something here?  In the few flights that I have taken, I've not seen anyone not wearing a mask being addressed, and I'm talking quite a few, even coming on the plane with no mask.  So if they aren't being confronted, how do we know they are being denied future travel?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Have I missed something here?  In the few flights that I have taken, I've not seen anyone not wearing a mask being addressed, and I'm talking quite a few, even coming on the plane with no mask.  So if they aren't being confronted, how do we know they are being denied future travel?

I am not sure to whom you are responding, but the answer to your question is: they are not.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

That is disturbing to me, and the fact that this forum has multiple SW employee's here to view and answer questions.  Is it the fact you're correct why none of them are responding?????  SW, you're better than that!!   Now, I actually thought I was answering a person who had vented about the lack of people being addressed about no masks?  

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

That is disturbing to me, and the fact that this forum has multiple SW employee's here to view and answer questions.  Is it the fact you're correct why none of them are responding?????  SW, you're better than that!!   Now, I actually thought I was answering a person who had vented about the lack of people being addressed about no masks?  

Hello @SWFlyer, I'm so sorry for the continued disappointment, and I regret missing the opportunity to provide you with additional insight when I responded to your concerns here

Safety is our top priority at all times, and all Passengers are required to wear a face covering (w/ some exemptions). Employees are directed on how to enforce this policy. If Customers have any concerns regarding compliance with this mask policy during their flight, we strongly urge them to address it with the Flight Crew. If for any reason Customers do not feel comfortable reaching out to a Crew Member during their flight, they should Contact Customer Relations after traveling so we can follow-up internally with the Employees. 

It's also important to explain that Employees on The Southwest Community here that you mentioned including Community Managers, Moderators, Blog Authors, and Subject Matter Experts, may be able to help out when assistance is requested, but please keep in mind that the Southwest Community is first and foremost a peer-to-peer community, not a direct customer support channel. If you need direct customer support, please reference Southwest.com/contact-us for available options.

Thank you,

Nicole
Community Manager

RichardR
Explorer C

Sorry you had to deal with that. Unfortunately it happens too often, as flight crews often feel hampered with a lack of guidance for wearing masks while airborne.  Unfortunately, just another dreadful dereliction of duties from the WH.  On a more upbeat note...
If you haven't already done so, check out a June 30 article from Israeli newspaper HAMODIA.  This 30-second Covid-19 test has the makings of a game-changer toward opening up terminals and flights safely to millions of passengers.  

* NanoScent, an Israeli company, has produced an Covid-19 test that determines the presence of the coronavirus within 30 seconds. 
* Tests among hundreds of patients in Israeli hospitals, point to an accuracy rate of over 90%.  
* Could be widely used at entrances to airports, workplaces, schools and halls.
* NanoScent has already received many requests from around the world to purchase their product.