Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Same Day Flight Changes - A-list

cyberroo
Explorer A

Has anyone had any luck making the same-day flight change as an A-Lister with a Wanna Get Away fare?  This is the second time that I've been told that it isn't possible to make the change, and it's standby only - once on the phone and once at the airport (where they initially declined to put me on standby).

Before I call back, am I wrong about the policy? it seems pretty clear on the website, but I'm starting to think maybe I am the one who's wrong here.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Same Day Flight Changes - A-list

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As long as you are flying alone you seem to have a correct understanding of the policy. If there is an available seat on flight you want to change to you should be able to get a confirmed seat if you call on the same day as the flight. If there's not an available seat you can request to be put on standby at the airport.

Perhaps if you are told no again you can politely request them to inform you of the policy for A-List same day changes. That would get them to tell you the policy as they know it and allow you to discuss from there. I would also submit your issue in writing so it can be addressed from a training perspective, use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. That won't help you today, but might prevent future issues. 

--TheMiddleSeat

cyberroo
Explorer A

I asked on Twitter and was basically told the same thing - standby only.  https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/status/1545136134941839362

At this point, I can't tell if it's a policy change or failure of training, but I sent an email.  I'm glad I didn't rely on the policy - I have a few times considered booking a cheap morning flight and then using the same-day change to switch to a more expensive flight, but didn't want to deal with the hassle.  (hmm, that might be a good use case for the Plus fare, though...)

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The policy is relatively new, and the website is correct. And the reps you've spoken with are wrong. Definitely a training issue.

From this page: Tiers & More A-List

change.png

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

Wow, I've learned something, thanks for sharing. As an A'-lister I've done the standby flight change multiple times over the years but was unaware I could make a no charge change. The standby thing only works for me when I do not check bags and about 75% of the time I have to check bags to accommodate PPE for work so a no charge same day change would be a win for me. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@parpitt1 wrote:

Wow, I've learned something, thanks for sharing. As an A'-lister I've done the standby flight change multiple times over the years but was unaware I could make a no charge change. The standby thing only works for me when I do not check bags and about 75% of the time I have to check bags to accommodate PPE for work so a no charge same day change would be a win for me. 

The same-day change is new this year with the WGA+ fare, it was only standby for earlier flights before this.

Agree with you the new method is great if they let you do it since I like to check bags when traveling with some of the gear.

But my habit under the prior rules was generally to book the latest non-red-eye flight available and then try to confirm a standby at the counter which often worked. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

I’ve tried using it 5 times without success and 1 time with success after going behind the gate agents back by calling because not all agents seem to understand that I can book the wanna get away fare as ALP and still get free same day changes even when I show the website they grow even more confused.