Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Sending a Kennel thru baggage for my service dog

jlhellr
Explorer C

When  traveling with a service dog, are you allowed to send your service dogs kennel through baggage 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Sending a Kennel thru baggage for my service dog

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @jlhellr,

You can check a dog kennel. Standard size/weight restrictions will apply. If the kennel is an excess or additional bag, fees may apply.

jlhellr
Explorer C

It's a medium size kennel the dimensions are 30x22x20. 

Will that be considered excess 

LindseyD

Hey @jlhellr,

Maximum weight for checked bags is 50 pounds and maximum size is 62 inches (length + width + height) per check piece of luggage. Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for an overweight and oversize baggage fee of $75 per item.

sleeper692
Explorer B

Lindsey,

I don't think you got this one right.

A kennel for a service dog, if it is needed at the destination, is considered medical equipment.  As such, the airline should ship it for free.  I can personnally attest that Southwest ticket agents understand this.  I have twice had my service dog's kennel shipped along with my luggage without any surcharges.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Pete

LindseyD

Hi @sleeper692,

Before responding to this question, I reached out to our Customer Advocacy Department, which is a specialized group of folks who handle questions, concerns, and information surrounding disabilities. The information above was supplied by a Representative from that group. Since a kennel is not a medical assistive device, it is subject to standard bag regulations. Of course, if you have any follow up questions, I'm glad to help!