Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Senior Travel

wicks132
Explorer C

I recently purchased a ticket for my father who is a senior with a physical disability.   Can you believe that the discounted fare save exactly $1.   Shameful at best.  Southwest should adjust their fare policy to a percentage % of the current fair that way everyone wins  regardless of distance or market.   Everyone should know seniors on fixed incomes have  it very tough these days and deserve a break.  

Any Thoughts???

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Senior Travel

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@wicks132 wrote:

I recently purchased a ticket for my father who is a senior with a physical disability.   Can you believe that the discounted fare save exactly $1.   Shameful at best.  Southwest should adjust their fare policy to a percentage % of the current fair that way everyone wins  regardless of distance or market.   Everyone should know seniors on fixed incomes have  it very tough these days and deserve a break.  

Any Thoughts???

Senior Fares are fully refundable. They're priced as a discount off the (also fully refundable) Anytime fare, and as such are usually higher than the "regular" non-refundable Wanna Get Away fare, which is available to everyone. If you don't have a need for refundability, and price is your concern, just purchase a Wanna Get Away fare.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Senior Fares are fully refundable. They're priced as a discount off the (also fully refundable) Anytime fare, and as such are usually higher than the "regular" non-refundable Wanna Get Away fare, which is available to everyone. If you don't have a need for refundability, and price is your concern, just purchase a Wanna Get Away fare.

@yesand, See the answer @chgoflyer provided earlier, it's a good summary of the fare differences. 

--TheMiddleSeat

yesand
Explorer C

Thank you so much for your response. I understand Senior Fares provide the great advantage of refundability.

What confounded me was my brother's fare dropped when he switched from a  WGA ticket to a Senior ticket - while my fare remained the same whether I chose a WGA or Senior fare. My brother flew directly from PHL to BNA and back. I flew from BDL to BNA via BWI on the same days at close to the same times.

Can anone explain under which circumstances choosing a Senior ticket leads to a lower price than choosing a WGA ticket?

Thanks!

dfwskier
Aviator A

I don't recall ever seeing a WGA fare being more expersive than a Senior fare.

Business Select, Anytime, and Senior fares tend to not change based on demand. BS are somewhere around $25 more expensive than Anytime fares. Senior fares are about a 20% discount from Anytime. WannaGetAways vary a lot based on demand- from well below Senior fares to levels near them.

As I said though, I don't remember ever seeing a WGA be more expensive than Senior.

yesand
Explorer C

I am confused by Senior Fare issue too. My brother and I were travelling to Nashville on the same day - he from Philadelphia (PHL) and me from Hartford-Springfield (BDL). We are both seniors. My brother's fare as a "senior" was noteably lower than as an "adult" for the same flight. My fare as a "senior" was identical to the "adult" fare. Why did one of us receive a fare discount and the other did not? Thank you.