Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Service Dog

Arjamison62
Explorer C

I know it is the hot new thing to can you dig a service dog so you can early board but tillary this one took the cake. Not only died the person with the dog but the person traveling with them got to early board without paying any kind of fee. Then I get on they are sitting in the front row dog not in any kind of carrying case. 

Now I can't have my book bag in the floor should a dog be allowed to lay in that same floor out of a carrier. 

I personally have a special needs child so I know the importance of such animals to the calming of people but this person had none of these issues. 

Are there any rules to this? 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Service Dog

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Arjamison62 wrote:

I know it is the hot new thing to can you dig a service dog so you can early board but tillary this one took the cake. Not only died the person with the dog but the person traveling with them got to early board without paying any kind of fee. Then I get on they are sitting in the front row dog not in any kind of carrying case. 

Now I can't have my book bag in the floor should a dog be allowed to lay in that same floor out of a carrier. 

I personally have a special needs child so I know the importance of such animals to the calming of people but this person had none of these issues. 

Are there any rules to this? 

Hello.

Service animals typically are not caged and lie at the feet of their travellers. If they are large, they are typically put in the bulkhead row (row 1) as it has the most room for large anmals. So what you experienced is not atypical.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol....