Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Service Dogs

Explorer C

I recently was on a flight from Cleveland OH to St Louis MO. While waiting to board there was a woman who had a rather unruly dog that had a service dog harness. It has been my experience that service dogs are trained animals which this large dog was not. I think some people put a service dog identity on some pets so they can travel with them. I wish airlines would do a better job stopping this trend. I have a family member who has a trained service dog and am aware of the need but also the training these animals receive. This dog was growling and barking and the woman was being pulled by this dog when she was walking it. Clearly not trained in service. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Service Dogs

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

SW policy allows it to deny boarding to service animals that exhibit certain traits. Aggressiveness is one of them. I think growling qualifies under aggressiveness. If you see something like this again, mention it to the gate agent.

It is possible the gate agent did not witness what you did.

Explorer C

I do not believe this WAS a qualified service dog. This is what my concern is as well as many other travelers. People falsely identifying their pets as service dogs. Airlines need to get proof of these dogs having proper service dog training before allowing them on to planes. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@20004059224 wrote:

I do not believe this WAS a qualified service dog. This is what my concern is as well as many other travelers. People falsely identifying their pets as service dogs. Airlines need to get proof of these dogs having proper service dog training before allowing them on to planes. 

Documentation of what the animal is, ESA vs Service, must be shown to the gate attendant before said animal will be allowed to board. 

Explorer C

Ha ha this is a joke as anyone can for less than $50 purchase a "document" verifying a service dog document. It's an out of control venue in our society.