Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Service animal

energongiraffes
Explorer C

SO i have a service animal. she is trained to do tasks but we are still working on training her to walk perfectly on a leash and shes still a puppy so shes in training for things like hyperness and not reacting to people. 

i am buying her a muzzle and shell have a Good harness.

shes a medium dog of about 40 lbs

what should i expect going on a plane with her and does she count as a carry on since shes my service dog. also i know ESA need paperwork but theres not really any paperwork to get for a SA.

i expect her to sit under my feet or on my lap. 

we are going from Cali to PA if that means anything. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Service animal

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

I have not flown with a pet before, but SW offers lots of details about traveling with animals at their site here.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

chgoflyer
Aviator A

From your description, it sounds like your service animal may not yet be ready for air travel. Southwest accepts only fully trained service animals:

An animal must be trained to behave properly in a public setting and under the control of the handler at all times. An animal that engages in disruptive behavior may be denied boarding. Examples of disruptive behavior include (but are not limited to):

• Scratching, excessive whining or barking
  • Growling, biting, lunging
  • Urinating or defecating in the cabin or gate area

I'd hate for you to be denied boarding due to inadequate training, so please consider carefully whether your service animal is really ready at this time.

energongiraffes
Explorer C

Hmm they told me on the phone shed be fine? Ill call again tomrrow    

She doesn't do any of those things. Amd shes fully trained for her task? She does a light bark to alert me to men getting to close but since thats a task that should be fine?