Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Service rep said I had to pay $75 for two gold bags

bskupaka
Explorer C

I just got on my flight and i travelled with a soft cover set of clubs and another soft golf case that contained items for a corporate event. Both under 50lbs and 62”. The service rep told me I was only permitted one golf bag and the 2nd would be $75 since it was oversized. Neither were oversized by weight or length.

He specifically said i could only have 1 golf bag and was dismissive when I asked him to see that policy or mentioned that i travel this was all the time with no issue. even if i collapsed the 2nd soft case to be smaller it would still be oversized since it was a golf bag. Someone help I cannot find this anywhere online and it sounds like he was just not very helpful or pleasant 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Service rep said I had to pay $75 for two gold bags

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@bskupaka wrote:

even if i collapsed the 2nd soft case to be smaller it would still be oversized since it was a golf bag.  

Is it oversized or not? If so, then a charge is to be expected. 

One interpretation of the policy could be read as one sporting goods item is allowed so I can understand where the agent was coming from. I can also understand where you could believe 2 sporting items would be allowed. Policy below with bold added by me. 

Any of the items listed below may be checked in substitution of one piece of the free checked baggage allowance for you at no charge on a one-item-for-one-bag basis. If the item of sporting equipment exceeds 50 pounds in weight or 62 inches in size (outside length plus height plus width), excess weight and size charges may apply.

If you're not happy with the decision I suggest you write to Southwest and express your displeasure. Be sure to include all the details of the flight and specifics of the bags. Use the contact us link below and send a message. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bskupaka
Explorer C

I have emailed SW directly but was curious if someone else experienced similar. His hangup seem end to be that even tho the content were not good clubs it still counted as golf clubs. A

He kept referring to the bags as oversized which which per SW measurements they were not 

bskupaka
Explorer C

live update: my golf clubs did not make it onto my flight. The 2nd bag i simply put back in my car 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bskupaka wrote:

I just got on my flight and i travelled with a soft cover set of clubs and another soft golf case that contained items for a corporate event. Both under 50lbs and 62”. The service rep told me I was only permitted one golf bag and the 2nd would be $75 since it was oversized. Neither were oversized by weight or length.

He specifically said i could only have 1 golf bag and was dismissive when I asked him to see that policy or mentioned that i travel this was all the time with no issue. even if i collapsed the 2nd soft case to be smaller it would still be oversized since it was a golf bag. Someone help I cannot find this anywhere online and it sounds like he was just not very helpful or pleasant 

62" is the length and width and height so if the bag is 12" around then it would be 24" of length and width and the remaining 38" would be for height, I can see where many golf bags could be cutting it close. 

My suggestion next time would be to pay it, and then ask for a refund after the fact that the agent at the counter wasn't interpreting the rules correctly.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Unless they measure by circumference x height which would actually be worse than L + W in that case. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.