Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Short check bags

dct1954
Explorer C

I've made reservations for myself, my wife and 2 grandchildren ages 16 & 12 from RDU to MCI via BNA in July 2020. 3 of us have since decided to just fly to BNA with the 4th(16 year old) flying on to MCI. Am I allowed to request at RDU to have my bags routed to BNA for 3 of us staying in BNA?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Short check bags

bec102896
Aviator A

Sounds like you are trying to do a hidden city flight. For bags to go to BNA you would need to change your flight to go to BNA as the final destination or you can carry on a bag as each passenger gets 1 roller bag and 1 personal item for carry on. 

Keep in mind many airlines are against hidden city ticketing and some airlines will cancel your flight or ban you or they might take legal action. Not trying to scare you but want you to be aware of what could happen. Also keep in mind if you booked a Round Trip flight and you don't take the leg from BNA to MCI you will be considered a NO SHOW and the airline will cancel the remainder of your reservation and you will lose the remainder of the funds on that reservation so if you plan to do a hidden city flight I suggest you book one way flights. 

You can however call Southwest and they can change the flight for the 3 of you who want to go to BNA instead of MCI. Fare difference may apply if the flight to BNA is more expensive.  

-Blake 

dct1954
Explorer C

Thanks,,,,this is a roundtrip event but BNA to MCI is the final leg of the roundtrip.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Be aware of several things if you want to go the hidden city route

1) if there are other flights on the reservation after the flight you do not take, they will be cancelled without refund.

2) Don't check bags as they will go to your final destination (ie only use carry ons)

3) You will not earn segments or RR points for your flight because you did not complete it

4) Please let the gate agent in BNA know that you don't plan to get on the flight to MCI. That way they will not be waiting for you, and might be able to let a standby passenger use it.

As said above, SW , unlike other airlines, does not prohibit the practice, but it would prefer that travellers not use it

dct1954
Explorer C

Thanks.