Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Should I buy one-way tickets for the outbound when return date flights not yet posted?

dvdmgsr
Explorer C

We're taking a family trip leaving March 2nd and returning March 9th, and the dates are set in stone. We're going to a popular destination (Fort Myers) so I'd like to get the tickets ASAP now that I have booked our lodging. Flights are open for booking for March 2nd, but not for March 9th -- flights after March 6th open up on August 30th (a date that already been pushed back). It occurred to me that I could go ahead and book the outbound flights for March 2nd as one-way, and then book the returns when Southwest opens them up for sale.

When the new schedules come out (presumably on August 30th), is there any chance that the outgoing flight prices might actually go down? As of now the outbound March 2nd flight prices aren't terrible, but they're a little higher than typical. Any other potential unintended consequences I should think about? One thing is that we aren't necessarily tied to a particular airport to leave from/return to. Theoretically I could buy a return flight on another airline, although I rarely find it preferable or more economical to do so as an alternative to Southwest.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Should I buy one-way tickets for the outbound when return date flights not yet posted?

AdamH
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hey there! No harm in purchasing outbound flights separately from the return. Southwest doesn't penalize our Customers for not purchasing a round trip fare. In the event that the prices on your outbound flight go down between now and the date of departure, you can always "downgrade" your tickets to the lower fare, and keep the difference as a travel credit (credit valid on travel for the Passenger listed on the ticket, flights must be completed within one year of the purchase date). Hope that helps! 

Re: Should I buy one-way tickets for the outbound when return date flights not yet posted?

dvdmgsr
Explorer C

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@dvdmgsr wrote:
Should I buy one-way tickets for the outbound when return date flights not yet posted?

Yes! I buy mostly one-way flights myself for all Southwest flights. It makes it easier for me to change things online myself without calling, among other minor benefits.

The only downside would be for extreme weather that disrupts the schedule in a way that both of your flights would be affected where both legs would be covered automatically as a RT ticket.

Coming from Chicago we found TPA to be easier than RSW where our ultimate destination was in Venice, but see what turns up when the schedule is released.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.