Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Should Southwest alter their mask policy?

Schultz2127
Explorer C

Should Southwest modify their mask policy to be more in line with Delta Airlines? Delta states children under the age of two and young children who cannot maintain a face covering are exempt from the mask requirement.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Should Southwest alter their mask policy?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I wouldn’t mind seeing Southwest adopt Delta’s policy of banning passengers who do not wear a mask, but otherwise don’t believe any changes are necessary. The specific wording you referred to is extremely vague and has led to disagreements between passengers and employees. Why introduce confusion into an already difficult issue?

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

President Biden is about to sign an executive order that mandates that people

1) who are on any federal property .or.

2) on any public conveyance (bus, plane train) that crosses state lines

MUST wear a mask.

Thus, if I were you, I would not count on a loosening of mask mandates.

Also, SW doesn't require kids under 2 to wear masks either.

reneepasley
Explorer B

Why are they not fining people that will not wear a mask or wear it under their nose. This is an easy way to make some money. Of course, there is the guy that sips on his water with his mask off the entire flight. On my flight to Arizona a lady and her baby walked up and down the aisle with her sparkling mask under her nose. No one said a thing. Time to get tough. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Until 3/31, Delta is the only airline still keeping middle seats open. What will it do effective 4/1? Stay tuned.

Numerous studies have shown that it it is exceedingly difficult to catch the virus on a plane.

Driving carries a far greater risk of death/injury.

Whether you fly or not is obviously your decision. I'll be flying -- as I have now 32 times since last May

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@Schultz2127 

Here's the deal, Masks save lives.  Here is a recent, Jan 17, an article from AZ

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/hundreds-of-children-being-admitted-to-arizona-hospitals-for-covid...

Do you really want to risk your child's health????  

A new strain that appears to be more contagious, (not more deadly than we know of yet) but in the last report from the UK, it shows the potential to be.   

I'm not a scientist, but I'm thinking that if the COVID can mutate, it will eventually figure out how to get around a child's immune system that has been protecting them up to this point, and it looks like it has. 

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Just like everything else covid related, no one knows for sure how to properly handle. If science and logic point towards that children under 5 do not have to wear a mask, so be it. This policy should not be set in stone and adjusted when needed. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

ffflyer
Frequent Flyer B

Yes. 

SWA should alter their mask policy to have anyone not properly wearing a mask on the plane or otherwise failing to follow the Flight Crew's instructions met by police when the plane lands.

Whether you think masks are effective or not is not the issue. The issue is whether or not you choose to follow the rules. If you don't you shouldn't fly.

reneepasley
Explorer B

I agree. Starting writing out tickets. It may be a way to recoup some of the COVID loss in revenue. Wearing a mask is not a big deal, but I have found the flight attendants are inconsistent on enforcing policies. Now that the middle seat is occupied, maybe I can get more than one glass of water. This is beginning to look like an excuse. Just like the teachers- if you are afraid of COVID or don't want to get your shots- maybe this job is not for you.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@reneepasley Am I presuming your job isn't a high-risk job?  I'm an Instructor, and I've got shot one of the Maderna, shot two in two weeks.  BUT, I'm going to fight going back to work unless we have total vaccination of every student and staff.  (I work at a community college)  Teachers see hundreds of people every day that is transient back and forth to their homes, have people coming in from out of town, and will frequently visit places off-campus on a daily basis.  We are talking about each individual making hundreds of contacts themselves every day, who if you multiply that get into thousands of degrees of contacts per student.  So yes, I know your point, but if somebody wants to choose their safety right now, let's give them the benefit of the doubt.  Honestly, if people now don't see what a thankless yet so very valuable job teachers do, then they never will.  I haven't used this in a long time, but if you're able to read this, thank a teacher.   I do love the give a ticket idea.