Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Should WN (Southwest) open it's schedule 300 days in advance?

kelmac
Explorer C

For starters -- I love Southwest airlines!  At the present time I have three flights booked with Delta; three with American; and three with Southwest.  If Southwest would open their schedule 300 days in advance I would have all of my flights booked with WN.

Sometimes you can't afford to wait on Southwest, and you end up booking a good deal on one of the legacy airlines.  Of course, Delta and American will change their schedule; change their flight numbers; change their aircraft type a few times before you actually board the flight.  Southwest does not make many changes once their schedule is released.  But, come on!  All planes are 737's and all pilots can fly all the planes; you have a pretty good idea on demand; no real hub; really no reason not to open the schedule months in advance!  This may be a corporation tradition, but I would like to see it end.  You may end up with an increase in business; certainly from me.  

My number one choice is Southwest, but I need some help here.  

Enjoy!

Kel 😉

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Should WN (Southwest) open it's schedule 300 days in advance?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Hi there

so to start I would like to say yes I wish the schedule would be opened more in advance but until then I may have a solution for you 

when I need to book a flight way in advance before the schedule opens up for southwest I would book a flight on Delta knowing that they will change the schedule and flight times when they do (if it's a big change) I call delta and tell them you booked a certain time and because they changed they need to allow you to change or cancel for free sometimes they allow it sometimes not depending on the change delta made if it's big usually they allow you to change or cancel for free but I wait to call until southwest has opened up the schedule for booking and then call and once delta allows me to cancel I book the southwest ticket. It has worked for me 3 out of 5 times so maybe this could work for you as well. Good Luck!

Happy Travels 

Blake 

kelmac
Explorer C

Hi Blake,

Great stuff!  I used your strategy about a month ago -- I had an American flight change to LAX and I called them and indicated that the new time would not get me in in time, and I was able to cancel as there were no great alternatives (well, I could have made it work).  By then, Southwest's schedule was open and I found a great flight at about the same cost, but of course no fees....,

Since I book vacations a year, to a year and a half out, I want to lock in the air as soon as possible.  Really important around the holidays.  That cancelled American flight left 16 Dec 2016 and returned 31 Dec 2016.  Locking in a good rate on those dates can be tough.  

I'm always checking to see if there is a major schedule change with Delta and American, so I can rebook with Southwest.  As you say, it doesn't always work out.  

Enjoy!

Kel

kelmac
Explorer C

The trend continues!  At the present time I have two flights booked with United, two with American, and one with Delta.  Only one Southwest flight booked at this time.  Once again, I would have booked all five flights with WN if their schedule was available earlier.  Even if Southwest opened their schedule 200 days out, that would help a bunch.  

LUV people are very smart, but I don't get this tradition of short notice booking windows!   

Enjoy!

KelSmiley Very Happy

Raina1
Explorer C

i agree with you! I go to Mexico every winter and would book all my flights with Southwest if they would open their booking window 

At the present time i have booked a one way for a trip to Phx in November, but cannot book the return till SW opens up their window.

I  hope its soon because i also want to book a flight to Cancun for the following week.

my worry is that by the time they open up their window it will be my only option because all the other airlines will be more expensive or unavailable...