Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Ski equipment: Clarify "encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier"

Selvek
Explorer C

Can someone please clarify what kinds of containers are and are not acceptable for skiis and snowboards?

I don't have a snowboard case, so I've packed my board in a 66x15x3 inch cardboard box, with a bit of styrofoam padding at the ends.  Is this "acceptable to Carrier"?

Is any packaging available at the airport in case the box is not ok?

(Domestic US flight)

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Ski equipment: Clarify "encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier"

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Selvek wrote:

Can someone please clarify what kinds of containers are and are not acceptable for skiis and snowboards?

I don't have a snowboard case, so I've packed my board in a 66x15x3 inch cardboard box, with a bit of styrofoam padding at the ends.  Is this "acceptable to Carrier"?

Is any packaging available at the airport in case the box is not ok?

(Domestic US flight)

Your box would be acceptable, as would  any hard or soft case expecially made for skis or snowboards. Carrying a box sans handle would be a a pain though.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that ski / snowboard boxes  bags are not available from the airline -- maybe a large plastic bag. I sure would  not want to use one of those to ship my skis.

You can get padded board bags for under $30 on e-bay. If you plan on regularly checking your board, you might wnt to buy one.

Re: Ski equipment: Clarify "encased in a container(s) acceptable to Carrier"

admrbell
Explorer C

Is something like the board bag at the link below adequate?

Snowboard Bag